Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

They shouldn't even have accumulation maps. Warm ground. In fact, it's so warm that you can envision snow falling and then evaporating into a cloud of steam. It's gonna look like Powderfreak is cooking a swimming pool sized pot of linguini. 

lol this bothers you so much.  

Why do you think warm ground means no snow?  It's just something to factor in.  Adk and I will get some photos to illustrate this weekend.  Picnic tables with 8" and 4" on the ground.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol this bothers you so much.  

Why do you think warm ground means no snow?  It's just something to factor in.  Adk and I will get some photos to illustrate this weekend.  Picnic tables with 8" and 4" on the ground.

I'm actually kidding. I understand in your case you put forth, which seems to argue for very marginal conditions?  I just think overall it's highly overrated.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm actually kidding. I understand in your case you put forth, which seems to argue for very marginal conditions?  I just think overall it's highly overrated.

He's going to find a band of elevation like 20 feet thick in a spruce forest where the warm ground screwed them out of an inch.

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He's going to find a band of elevation like 20 feet thick in a spruce forest where the warm ground screwed them out of an inch.

Haha I've got plenty of examples in images I think when I get home of the picnic tables gathering more than the ground in early season events.  October 2012 had a 4-6 incher on everything from the trees to tables and decks but never more than 1-2" on a lot of the ground surfaces even below freezing...rates were like .5-1"/hr after it changed over to snow..  Actually reminds me a lot of this potential.

Its just something to factor when making a snowfall forecast.  I feel if the ground is frozen solid, you don't worry about rates. You'll stack it up at a quarter inch per hour.  If it's warm and wet, you have to factor in other variables like rates/intensity/time of day maybe.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha I've got plenty of examples in images I think when I get home of the picnic tables gathering more than the ground in early season events.  October 2012 had a 4-6 incher on everything from the trees to tables and decks but never more than 1-2" on a lot of the ground surfaces even below freezing...rates were like .5-1"/hr after it changed over to snow..  Actually reminds me a lot of this potential.

Its just something to factor when making a snowfall forecast.  I feel if the ground is frozen solid, you don't worry about rates. You'll stack it up at a quarter inch per hour.  If it's warm and wet, you have to factor in other variables like rates/intensity/time of day maybe.

Make sure you give us a really dark surface like blacktop too and compare it to the top of a Douglas Fir. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Make sure you give us a really dark surface like blacktop too and compare it to the top of a Douglas Fir. 

Haha you guys are a riot.  Just surprised there's so much pushback to the idea that a warm wet ground might canabolize totals by a couple inches compared with a frozen one.  Hopefully it starts sticking immediately and we will leave it at that then.

13 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

:lol:

Now we just need  5 pages of sun angle talk to wrap up the day.

Definitely the most in depth ground temp talk in history..lol

.61" from round 1.

My reindeer sweater is in the freezer chilling so I can lay it down nice and cold on the summit to get the highest accums possible B).

This is the only time I've ever seen the NNE thread be tagged as a "Hot" topic by the forum's post rate.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I've got a better photo for you to use... here's a recent shot, not one that looks like its from high school or UVM.  The head will look a lot more natural on that small woman's body I think.  It's even better because I'm 6'3" so the short chick is perfect.

PF.png

Are you pimping with a lady on each arm?

Archived