Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We are going to be up to 10" now.  I found a little more than 5" of very fluffy snow this morning on the 3,000ft board, on top of the 4.5" from yesterday's squalls.

Still snowing too.  Like eyewall, had some good bursts of thick dendrites in the air.  Pure fluff at this point.  Nosedive Glades is knee deep champagne right now.

I just looked, with 83" on the season, it took us until February 11th last year to hit that mark.

We've had several bursts here in Montpelier too.  I feel like everything has been overperforming and not just in terms of accumulation.  We don't have massive snow depth or anything but I feel like snow showers and other events have been lasting longer that I thought they would or begin sooner.  Maybe, I haven't been paying close enough attention to the actual forecasts.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I feel like everything has been overperforming and not just in terms of accumulation.  We don't have massive snow depth or anything but I feel like snow showers and other events have been lasting longer that I thought they would or begin sooner.  Maybe, I haven't been paying close enough attention to the actual forecasts.

I think things have generally been on track or a bit above forecasts, but it’s hard to gauge to some degree because the forecast I perceive for some of these events is affected by stuff here on the board, as well as the fact that we often get more than is forecast at our site because it’s a microclimate that has its own nuances.

Good point about the snow depth though – it’s certainly not a robust snowpack yet.  There was talk with the potential storm on Sunday/Monday about how it would be fine if the northern areas got fluff because there’s already substantial base in place.  That’s only true for a few higher elevation areas, and the valleys in general have very little liquid equivalent on the ground.  I just checked my data, and we’re actually right about average right now with respect to snowpack depth.  However, I don’t track average liquid equivalent in the snowpack here, so I can’t say exactly where we are with respect to that.  But, what’s out there isn’t all that robust and could easily disappear.  So, we could be on average pace for snowpack depth, but not necessarily liquid equivalent.  If I have a chance I can do a liquid analysis on our snowpack and see, but I can’t imagine there’s more than a half inch of liquid in there.  Bottom line is that there’s a lot of building to be done in the valley snowpack yet; I’m sure folks with snowmobiles are aware of this.

Amazing early season skiing at Smuggs today! It has been nuking at times and a snow globe overall. The groomers are nice and creamy and there are no shortage of pow stashes out there. Some nice early season depths in the woods up top.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had our graupel shower yesterday afternoon; the overnight dusting was standard flakies.  Echoes suggest maybe a few flakes flying flat (sideways) at home, last I looked.

I see a few streamers moving thru Androscoggin County on radar that are missing me here

36 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It’s not a pounding of flakes based on the mountain web cams I’m seeing, but there’s definitely been a surface-freshening level of moisture coming into the mountains that is very evident on the radar with all those streamers:

09DEC16A.gif

Yeah I just did my 3pm check of the 3,000ft board and found 2" of the driest fluff imaginable.  It seemed like it had been snowing harder as visibility never got above like 1-2 miles today and at times was under half a mile in snow.  

But such little moisture and wind made it seem more stormy than reality as we only had 2" from a days worth of snow.

Up to 41" in 8 days there though.  

Also my snow depth at 1,500ft hit 19" this morning. That's very substantial for December 9th to have near 20" on the ground in the base area.  And it's pretty stout too, there's some moisture in there.

Archived