Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.38" in the tipper...0.37" in the stratus when I came home. I'm not sure if any evaporated out of it, but I'll go with the lower number.

May pull off a few days in a row with highs in the U50s here. That'll put a little dent into the huge monthly positive anomalies (max temp wise anyways).

Pretty cool meso-scale clouds around here today with the blocked SE flow.

We've had overcast over town and stretching west to Mansfield/Spine, at which point you can see the sun shining on the west slopes through the gaps in the terrain.  Very sharp line of overcast and sunshine.  But even locally in Stowe/Morrisville there's a small area of clear skies just down wind of the Worecester Range and its northern lower ridgeline (2,500ft).  Mountain wave type pattern with very smooth cloud top and downslope clearing before the upslope has clouds redeveloping a couple miles away.

These are looking east from very close to the MVL ASOS on RT 100.

mountainwave.jpg

mountainwave12.jpg

And that narrow gap is easily visible on the satellite presentation.  Blue line is the actual Spine axis, clouds here on the east side, bright skies on the west side.

sept28.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty cool meso-scale clouds around here today with the blocked SE flow.

We've had overcast over town and stretching west to Mansfield/Spine, at which point you can see the sun shining on the west slopes through the gaps in the terrain.  Very sharp line of overcast and sunshine.  But even locally in Stowe/Morrisville there's a small area of clear skies just down wind of the Worecester Range and its northern lower ridgeline (2,500ft).  Mountain wave type pattern with very smooth cloud top and downslope clearing before the upslope has clouds redeveloping a couple miles away.

These are looking east from very close to the MVL ASOS on RT 100.

mountainwave.jpg

mountainwave12.jpg

And that narrow gap is easily visible on the satellite presentation.  Blue line is the actual Spine axis, clouds here on the east side, bright skies on the west side.

sept28.jpg

Yea PF, that's a cool feature which I notice down here often on the western slopes of the Greens in SVT also. Although, every time I see it happen it makes me think of  E/SE flow in winter when it may be 1" per hour on the eastern slopes and just spitting artic sand on the western slopes/valley...l:axe:  We seem to need some good frontogenitical forcing to get any kind of good rates in the valley on the western side outside of upslope snows on moist W/NW flow.

PF,  looking at the satellite picture you posted it looks like down sloping clearing to the SW of the Presidential Range in the Whites and even to a lesser degree the Franconia Range too.

Dreary day today.  Some drizzle this AM and 100% overcast all day till now as some breaks are occurring.  I'm at 1.73" for rainfall this month.  Looks like that will do it with any possible rain from the low to the SW occuring after Sept 30th. 

I am really hoping that we can get some type of rainfall from Matthew later next week.  All options are in play but didn't like this afternoons Euro.  keeps Matthew moving  so slow that the ridge builds back into the east coast which would shove Matthew OTS.  Don't need a strong cane coming up the coast but would like to see a side swipe giving us some rain without wind damage.  Its all about timing.  Really too far out to speculate much.

I noticed a big change in foliage this past few days.  Lots of trees starting to get that yellowish look.

Month looks to end with 1.73" unless we can get a few showers in here this evening.

Rain from incoming system looks to be negligible or non existent for C/NNE.

All cards on the table with Matthew.  Could even get stuck in the Bahamas next week.  

Happy October.

Had 1.11" last month, 30% of average. 

Avg. high:  69.8    Avg low:  46.9     Mean:  58.35, which is +1.7 and 4th mildest of 19.  Close to #3, but 1999 and last year were much milder.  On 9/22 we were running +4, but the final week was closer to -5.

Warmest was 84, on the 9th.  Mildest minimum was 63 and warmest mean 73.5, same day.

Coldest morning was 27, on the 26th, also coldest mean with 43.5.  Coolest max was 55 the day before.  9/30 also frosted, with 29.

Northfield, NH
September 2016 Climatological Data

***Temperature***
Averages (departure)
Max........73.2F (+4.3)
Min........51.1F (+2.7)
Mean.......62.1F (+3.4)

Extremes (day)
High Max...88.5F (9th)
Low Min....34.2F (26th)
Low Max....56.5F (28th)
High Min...64.4F (19th)

Max  Min
 90.0s    0    0
 80.0s    5    0
 70.0s   16    0
 60.0s    8    7
 50.0s    1    8
 40.0s    0   13
 30.0s    0    2
 20.0s    0    0
 10.0s    0    0
  0.0s    0    0
 -0.0s    0    0
-10.0s    0    0
-20.0s    0    0

***Precipitation***
Total......1.79" (-1.88")
Daily Max..0.69" (19th)

Days
>=1.00"   0
>=0.50"   1
>=0.25"   3
>=0.10"   4
>=0.01"   8

Local Sites
Station - Network (ID)          Elevation AvgMax AvgMin AvgMean
Newbury - CWOP (D5928)            1555'    70.7F  52.3F  61.5F
Tilton - CWOP (C9887)              866'    73.0F  52.5F  62.4F
Northfield - CWOP (C7324)          614'    73.2F  51.1F  62.1F
Laconia Arpt - AWOS (KLCI)         545'    73.6F  52.0F  62.8F
Weirs Beach - HADS (WEIN3)         508'    73.3F  56.1F  64.7F
Pittsfield Mill - HADS (PTFN3)     485'    74.5F  51.0F  62.8F
Silver Lake - HADS (SLVN3)         485'    76.1F  51.2F  63.7F
Lake Winnisquam - HADS (LKWN3)     478'    74.1F  52.1F  63.1F
Winnipesaukee River - HADS (TLTN3) 442'    73.6F  51.0F  62.3F
Franklin Falls Dam - HADS (FFDN3)  415'    74.9F  52.4F  63.6F
Bear Brook - RAWS (BERN3)          365'    75.9F  47.9F  61.9F
Contoocook River - HADS (COTN3)    358'    75.2F  51.0F  63.1F
Suncook River - HADS (NCHN3)       357'    75.1F  48.3F  61.7F
Concord Arpt - ASOS (KCON)         338'    78.0F  50.8F  64.4F
Soucook River - HADS (SOUN3)       270'    75.7F  50.2F  63.0F

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ugly day.  Where'd the top ten chamber weather go?  Need more Sept 1-21 type weather.  Cold raw damp day on the big hill for the 15 zip staff stationed from top to bottom.  

49F with sheet drizzle, mist and near zero visibility above 1,500ft.

it was rather lousy to be sure but I still managed a foliage flight:

14444998_10103643045304919_4448113283360

14500250_10103643045479569_7105407834329

14468626_10103643046113299_3332994463588

14560222_10103643045998529_2706273384511

Always amazes me the differences around here in weather. 

Been wet all day at the ski resort with steady drizzle and at times light rain...but it's been dry as a bone less than 2 miles away.  

Just went to get the dog and come back up for a hike at the mountain, left with the windshield wipers on steady, a mile down the road it stops precipitating, then the road dries out a few hundred feet later.  Down in town it's brighter with people enjoying the farmers market.  Got the dog and came back up only to run into the wetness at the same spot around 1,200ft and now we are going to go get soaked on a nice hike. 

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

What a soaker the past few days-- .11"

Similar to what PF said, I can the misery mist out my backyard trying to spill over the ridge tops of the Greens, but doesnt make it very far. Been pretty much totally dry the past 2 days in the valley, mainly just OVC.

Just sheet drizzle and light rain at times up at the mountain... ceiling is at like 1,800ft.  This is looking SE where the moisture is coming from, and while not raining in town it seems being this removed from the Atlantic ocean means the miserymist, drizzle, -RN, needs a little orographic lift to get going.

2L8A6401_edited-2_zps7pq0vdup.jpg

So I've been having some excavation work done to level off and clear away shrub brush and other tall grasses that as much as I try to keep trimmed, can never keep ahead of it. So we brought in the dozer and went to work. The original plan was to seed with grass, but I don't want that much lawn to cut. Looks like we may have some decent natural top soil without having to bring in a bunch of sand and topsoil. Any ideas on what else we could do with some of the land? I think we've (mostly me as my wife is rolling her eyes at this project) created a bit of a monster.

capture2.jpg

18 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

So I've been having some excavation work done to level off and clear away shrub brush and other tall grasses that as much as I try to keep trimmed, can never keep ahead of it. So we brought in the dozer and went to work. The original plan was to seed with grass, but I don't want that much lawn to cut. Looks like we may have some decent natural top soil without having to bring in a bunch of sand and topsoil. Any ideas on what else we could do with some of the land? I think we've (mostly me as my wife is rolling her eyes at this project) created a bit of a monster.

capture2.jpg

Putting green where the dozer is and a tee box where you are standing taking the picture.  Fescue between with a nice mown path. Maybe a couple of bunkers place strategically around the putting green.  But that's just me :whistle:

It's been so frustrating watching Hurricane Matthew every day.   Another neighbors well went dry this morning.  All I want from the storm or trof is a couple of inches of rain.  One run says yes, next run says no.   Hopefully the storm can at least throw some moisture and interact with the trof to give us something.

Colors are now coming on fast.  Perhaps 25%?

25 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

capture2.jpg

Maybe a wildflower mix -  there are various multi-variety seed packets out there.  Enjoy the blooms and the critters that use them all spring and summer, mow once a year about now to keep the trees away.  Can't use a conventional lawnmower, however.

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe a wildflower mix -  there are various multi-variety seed packets out there.  Enjoy the blooms and the critters that use them all spring and summer, mow once a year about now to keep the trees away.  Can't use a conventional lawnmower, however.

I'm wondering if anything would grow this late in the season. Up on the hill we don't see <32F for another 7-10 days barring any upcoming cold shots. Watering outside of mother nature isn't an option.

One website sells wildflower mix @ $875 for 50lb. Holy cow!

With September over, I’ve got the September precipitation numbers and some seasonal numbers for our site.  Precipitation numbers for various periods are shown below, with % of average in parentheses.

September:  2.19” (52.8%)

Calendar Year:  32.99” (84.5%)

CoCoRaHS Water Year:  44.46” (82.2%)

September was certainly on the dry side with only about half the average rainfall we see, but the great weather was appreciated since we’ve generally been fine with respect to water in the area.  On the whole, the water year and the calendar year have also been a bit on the dry side.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm wondering if anything would grow this late in the season. Up on the hill we don't see <32F for another 7-10 days barring any upcoming cold shots. Watering outside of mother nature isn't an option.

One website sells wildflower mix @ $875 for 50lb. Holy cow!

Lava.  Winter Rye is an excellant choice is you want a cheap, very durable fast growing ground cover.  We had a big excavation project several years ago that ended this time of year and needed something to take hold even with morning frosts.  Winter Rye did the trick.  Comes up really fast, even without water.  Check out this link I just found

https://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/winterrye.html

Archived