Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

17 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You will have to wait to see if that is "Dendrite approved" :) I had a station similar to the one you have now a few years ago--that thing ran so hot in the sun--like always 10F+, I guess the fan didn't work well enough. I had to leave it in a shady spot to try to get somewhat accurate readings.   It seems like you will always be sacrificing something unless you go up to the big leagues with the VP2, etc.

What about the Davis Vantage Vue? Maybe some of the other guys can chime in to see if those could be an option?

I have the Davis Vantage Vue, its pretty decent.  In heavier down pours it can record slightly higher rainfall than what I catch in the Stratus right next to it but is otherwise accurate with rain.  There are certain conditions that I've noticed in lower dew point bright sunny days, like in early spring, it appears to run a couple of degrees warm.  It weird because its not all sunny days that I notice the difference, only a few days a year for whatever reason.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I have the Davis Vantage Vue, its pretty decent.  In heavier down pours it can record slightly higher rainfall than what I catch in the Stratus right next to it but is otherwise accurate with rain.  There are certain conditions that I've noticed in lower dew point bright sunny days, like in early spring, it appears to run a couple of degrees warm.  It weird because its not all sunny days that I notice the difference, only a few days a year for whatever reason.

Probably wind related. The more wind the better the passive aspiration. 

13 hours ago, alex said:

Help me, Dendrite One Kenobi, you're my only hope! :) 

I looked at the Vantage Vue, doesn't look like it has Internet capabilities, which is a must. BTW, what is up with the design of the Davis consoles? I wish they had made an at least minor attempt at making them somewhat mildly decent looking! That's one thing I really do like about the one I'm returning... the screen is very cool looking. Here's what I would *really* like:

- accurate readings (especially nighttime lows)
- direct connection to Internet/WU
- <$500
- a decent looking console would be a nice plus (but not as important as the first 3)

In other news, just got approval from the town to build 4 cabins! I'm psyched. 

I will give you a better reply later. Im on mobile right now. Davis is a hardware company...they offer the bare min with their software but give 3rd parties free reign to work with it. For the accuracy you get, the davis fars is really the best value. They are up there with the bigger boys wrt accuracy but are in the range of the hobbyist budget. Vaisala, campbell, rm young, etc aren't. The console sucks but i barely use mine. 

There are vues all over WUnso they definitely have internet capability.

I believe weatherlinkIP allows you to upload data without your comp on, but there's a price for that. 

Thanks, Dendrite. Price aside, I can't have a computer running all the time which is an in issue with at least some of the Vues. Also, I realize that Davis is the most accurate, but they do come at a steep price. I'm not sure it's worth an extra $400 to me to know whether it's 26 or 27 out, especially since the difference really comes out during radiational cooling, and the times I *really* care is when it's 33 and snizzling. Does that make sense? I was hoping to find something DECENTLY accurate for <$500. It seems crazy we can't get something that we can buy a laptop for that price, but can't find an accurate thermometer!!! And by the way, I'd be happy with something that just had thermo and rain gauge...

Thanks again! Sorry if I'm being a pain

On 10/7/2016 at 11:20 AM, alex said:

Thanks, Dendrite. Price aside, I can't have a computer running all the time which is an in issue with at least some of the Vues. Also, I realize that Davis is the most accurate, but they do come at a steep price. I'm not sure it's worth an extra $400 to me to know whether it's 26 or 27 out, especially since the difference really comes out during radiational cooling, and the times I *really* care is when it's 33 and snizzling. Does that make sense? I was hoping to find something DECENTLY accurate for <$500. It seems crazy we can't get something that we can buy a laptop for that price, but can't find an accurate thermometer!!! And by the way, I'd be happy with something that just had thermo and rain gauge...

Thanks again! Sorry if I'm being a pain

Not a pain at all. If you have the know-how you can easily make a temp sensor for cheaper. The Sensirion sensors are readily available. That's somewhat out of my league though. 

This is available on CL...Davis with FARS along with wxlink/data logger.

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/5754470003.html

maybe make an offer after seeing pics?

I have to admit, I'm a bit regretful of starting this, but the alternative is watching the trees eventually block our view. We pay a premium in taxes for our view, which is nothing like living on the lake, but I figure if we're paying for the view tax, I'm gonna have a damn view.

Looks like it'll take 350 yds sand and 120 yds loam to put grass in for the foreground area. Materials and labor $8400. Not bad.

9 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Unimaginable tragedy.

They were students at Harwood High School in the same class as a colleague's youngest son and two were neighbors of hers in Moretown. Devastating to the Mad River Valley and really all of us in VT. The smallness of this state really strikes home when something like this happens. 

43F at 11am, stiff NW wind.   We were a couple of days away from peak foliage yesterday.  Glad I got the drone up at sunset.  With the strong NW wind today many trees that had changed have lost their leaves while others are still green.  I would guess that for much of Central VT/NH  peak color was yesterday with a downward trend after todays winds.  Glad all the Columbus Day peepers got to see great colors this year.  Wished the skies had been clear but someone said the colors look best when its cloudy.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Stuck at 39 here, and there mountains are nice and white - I assume like PF said it's all rime, but cool to see nevertheless. Can't see the tops due to cloud cover, but there's a definite line maybe at 3000 ft or so

Yeah we keep getting small glimpses of very white trees but the clouds really aren't budging.  I know if the summit clears off in the sun it'll look like it snowed (but didn't).  

11am temps:

26F 4,000ft

37F 1,500ft 

39F 750ft MVL

Archived