Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Dew was frozen on the vehicle roofs, did not check the thermometer.  The Friday morning rain brought 0.43", about twice what I'd expected, month now at 0.93".  Sandy River was at about half the 25th percentile flow yesterday, won't bump up much from that rain.  Leaf change at 10-15% except for ash, which is 50% with leaves dropping soon after coloring.  Some very bright red maples here and there.

Ditto the frozen dew on the vehicles. No frost immediately around here due to the pesky wind all night. Looks like the CON area pulled off a frost or freeze. CON with 33 and a couple of NEPP sites were 32 and 31. That 31 at Bear Brook is with hourly obs only too so maybe they pulled a 29 or 30 in reality. 

Only 38.5 here on the hillside though. Tonight should be a little better, but 32 is an outside shot. I envision about 31 at CON and a 34 here.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Ditto the frozen dew on the vehicles. No frost immediately around here due to the pesky wind all night. Looks like the CON area pulled off a frost or freeze. CON with 33 and a couple of NEPP sites were 32 and 31. That 31 at Bear Brook is with hourly obs only too so maybe they pulled a 29 or 30 in reality. 

Only 38.5 here on the hillside though. Tonight should be a little better, but 32 is an outside shot. I envision about 31 at CON and a 34 here.

Tonight surprised me with how cold it got, but we had no fog which we almost always do.  If MVL got 31F, I wonder if they can beat that tonight.

Had legit fairly heavy frost on my lawn but you could tell it was variable.  We have some big wide open fields around, where smaller properties with closer trees didn't seem to have that bright white hard frost. The frost didn't come within like 30 feet of the treeline.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Frost advisory for tonight but I ain't scared.

For those who have been anxiously awaiting, my north wind anemometer will be ready for deployment whenever it stops being so windy that my dad doesn't want to go on the roof.

Huh? Do you have 2 annies for different wind directions? 

Yesterday's frozen dew was a tease - low was 33.  This morning was a windshield-scraper no-doubter; temp was 27 when I left the house about 6:45.  Frost-free season was 130 days, 14 above my 19-year average as both last and first frosts were a week off those averages.  This first 28 or lower was 3 days ahead of average.

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Morning lows in BTV's CWA.

Coldest in VT was 25F in Peru, VT (1500ft) down in Southern VT (Bennington County). 

Sept_26_mins.png

Question for anyone--what stations do they use for those numbers?ASOS/AWOS and COOP, something else? Curious as there is a 28F down here in Bennington county that looks close to where I am.

0.05 inches here.  A safe rule of thumb here is that if the forecast includes a range, say 0.10 to 0.25 inches, go with the lower number and reduce it, by 25-50%.  If the forecast includes the word "likely", cut it back to "possible".  It's been a strange summer where the forecasts for this area just don't pan out, for whatever reason.

0.05 inches here.  A safe rule of thumb here is that if the forecast includes a range, say 0.10 to 0.25 inches, go with the lower number and reduce it, by 25-50%.  If the forecast includes the word "likely", cut it back to "possible".  It's been a strange summer where the forecasts for this area just don't pan out, for whatever reason.

Same here, although I think we'll hit the target of 0.25".

Archived