Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I love me some CWG, but who in the world thinks oppressive humidity begins at a 75 dew point? 

I'll agree with them on this.  After 75 degree dewpoint, we have noticed a decent uptick in EMS calls for difficulty breathing, chest pains and heat related emergencies.  My threshold for being uncomfortable is ~75 too.

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've always set the oppressive mark at 70, and I've seen most outlets (I think) set the threshold at 70 as well. 75 just seems too high.

70-74 is gross and uncomfortable, but oppressive means another level to me.  You get those days where it is still 88/76 at 10pm - that is oppressive.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

One of my top 5 favorite covers with Simple Man

Great show tonight. Simple Man cover had some folks in tears.  All 4 bands rocked.  It was 91 and sunny when we walked in. Ugh. But the clouds came in and saved the lawn from melting. Muggy but easy to deal with. Shinedown's set overall was softer than I prefer but they killed it. Closed the show with Sound of Madness (my fave). Awesome crowd. No dummies. Lol. 

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Great show tonight. Simple Man cover had some folks in tears.  All 4 bands rocked.  It was 91 and sunny when we walked in. Ugh. But the clouds came in and saved the lawn from melting. Muggy but easy to deal with. Shinedown's set overall was softer than I prefer but they killed it. Closed the show with Sound of Madness (my fave). Awesome crowd. No dummies. Lol. 

did they play Call Me? Love that song. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

did they play Call Me? Love that song. 

They sure did. One thing that surprised me last night was how damn good Halestorm is live. Lzzy Hale is a true american hard rocker. I've never really paid much attention to that band over the years but their live performance was awesome. 

Obligatory ob: 85 and disgusting outside / 74 and pleasant inside

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Anyone have a recommendation of a state park to drive to for meteor watching? Also any idea which area has the best chance to see some good clearing?  I'm willing to drive about 60-80 minutes from DC.

State parks are generally closed after dark. I know a great area though that is only probably 45 minutes from you. Glenwood off of route 97 sits on a high point and is wide open in the sky. Unless the lights are on at the sports area (highly doubtful) there is very little light pollution. I might go here tomorrow night. 

glenwood.JPG

glenwood1.JPG

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Anyone have a recommendation of a state park to drive to for meteor watching? Also any idea which area has the best chance to see some good clearing?  I'm willing to drive about 60-80 minutes from DC.

Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park probably would be a good spot. Assateague National Seashore near Ocean City would also be a good spot. Both are open 24 hours a day/365. 

State Parks may be closed after dark, but Shenandoah National Park does not, and it hosts star-gazing events.

http://www.goshenandoah.com/activities-events/astronomy

While, the above location (Big Meadows) is more than 80 miles from DC proper, there are plenty of stops along the northern parts of Skyline Drive that are within your 80 mile radius.  The above link does not detail an event for this coming shower, but it will still be a gathering place....

http://www.newsleader.com/story/news/local/2016/08/09/perseid-meteor-shower-should-excite-year/88453198/

Infact, Dickey Ridge is only a short drive from the northern entrance to the Drive.  Sounds like a lot of fun too......

http://wtop.com/the-space-place-tech/2015/08/perseids-coming-shenandoah-national-park/

Best bet is really to head west.  Unfortunate that Sky Meadows does not stay open for the Persieds.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

Capture.JPG

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Long range GFS/EPS (and the ops as well) are starting to come in line with a more amplified h5 pattern down the line. It could be our first shot at a canadian front clearing our latitude. Makes sense climo wise.  

Until then we bake. 

Finally, some good news.  It can't come soon enough.

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'll enjoy this second big heat wave, but I agree with you. Football is back. It's time to step down to shorter days, crisp mornings, and fall weekends. 

August is really the worst for interesting weather unless we get tropical. No clash of air masses, flat and or slow upper level flow, and low humidity is rare or short lived. 

I haven't minded the heat much this summer and I've done plenty of outdoors stuff. I'm well acclimated. Maybe if we get an amplified pattern we can get some good lines of storms. Always look forward to that first big shot of continental air. Deep blue skies, cool in the shade but warm in the sun, refreshing nw breezes, and windows open at night. Who doesn't like that? 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived