Newest Member
    CHSVol
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On August 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yeah, I just mowed for the first time in 3 weeks too.  Even after 4.45" of rain Thur - Sat, I still didn't need to mow my front yard.  Even though it greened up, it hasn't grown a mm.  Last time I mowed, I didn't have to mow the front either.  It's been 5+ weeks since it's been mowed.  Without some cooler temps, we're going to be back to brown very soon.

Sounds like other issues for your grass.

Healthy grass can't not grow unless it is completely dormant, something that's pretty hard to accomplish in summer if it's green and just got over 4" of rain.

I cut mine yesterday after only 5 days and was probably cutting 3" off of it places and that's with the mower on the highest setting.

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Sounds like other issues for your grass.

Healthy grass can't not grow unless it is completely dormant, something that's pretty hard to accomplish in summer if it's green and just got over 4" of rain.

I cut mine yesterday after only 5 days and was probably cutting 3" off of it places and that's with the mower on the highest setting.

Not sure.  My front is always more susceptible to drought and heat.  Full afternoon and evening sun and less top soil.  

Yesterday was great - was the first day in a while during this stretch that I wasn't drenched with sweat while outside. 

This morning also feels quite pleasant. I can feel fall coming - I just wish we didn't have to torch more. But alas we live in DC and we'll probably torch for periods into October ;)

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I don't know, buddy. Looks like it's moving towards the desert. I bet the cactus are flowering after all that rain last week. 

78 under cloudy sky's 

Yeah, I spoke too soon.  We got a pretty good soaker.  .65" in the gage.  I hereby officially will stop complaining about the rain shield for a while.  The shield usually weakens some by late summer.  We've had a remarkable stretch.  That's about 5.2" in the past 8 days.   And this late in the summer, it has longer-lasting benefits.  The past several days of cooler temps and clouds have continued the greening process.  It's pretty lush ATM here.

I am excited about the prospects for fall colors this year with the ample rain the region has received this spring / summer.  While there was a localized dry area here until last week, the rest of the region has done consistently well wrt to precip.  The potential is there for good color this year, so long as we can get Sep and Oct. to cooperate.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived