Newest Member
    joxey
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jnis said:

Some heavy rain here with a few close by lightning strikes but that has been it here. I think I got between the two cells the sort of split over north moco. Nice cool down!

I was watching that split on Radarscope - real heavy stuff just south, from about Rt 118 in Germantown southward (2 miles south of me), and the other big cell that hit Ballenger Creek to Urbana.  We did get 0.5 which I'm happy for but dang I had a severe warned cell coming directly at me from 5-10 miles away and it split at the last minute.

Can see lightning from what I assume is at the edge of D.C from my house on the very edge of Arlington. Don't usually get that kind of visibility until it gets a bit dark. The real time lightning map is having a blast with this one.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#y=38.9363;x=-77.3277;z=10;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Not sure what's severe about this storm besides having 50-60dbz radar returns, but very heavy rain and some decent T+L.  0.87" already in the bucket with more to come.  

Probably mostly warned from the earlier 58mph gust report in MoCo. MoCo has a lot of calls for wires down and a few for trees into houses. 

5 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

I was watching that split on Radarscope - real heavy stuff just south, from about Rt 118 in Germantown southward (2 miles south of me), and the other big cell that hit Ballenger Creek to Urbana.  We did get 0.5 which I'm happy for but dang I had a severe warned cell coming directly at me from 5-10 miles away and it split at the last minute.

Yeah I was watching that warned cell on radar and quickly looked out the window to only see sprinkles. If you check out the NWS one hour rainfall you can really see where the cells tracked...

But I agree, the .5" or so is just fine for me.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Just ran to the store. Judging by the number of branches littering the roads and yards it looks like we got some gusts in the 40's. The cool part was the highest wind happened with the heaviest rain. It was a low vis rain blizzard. Great storm

Olney, MD area sounds like it took a beating. Multiple trees down along Hines Rd in that area. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived