Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-17 discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I hope it's right too. Atlanta is going on nearly 3 years without snowfall of any significance. Of course that map wouldn't guarantee snow but it would give me hope.

It's crazy to think of the difference in winter precip from Atlanta to the northern burbs the past few years. Of course everyone was shafted last year so I'm hoping we can make up for it.

if you live 65 miles n/ne of Atl, you've seen snow in the past 3 years. ATL/Hartsfield is vastly different from your general vicinity. Often the difference from seeing snow from year to year in the ATL metro is just living in the northern burbs rather than the southern ones.

13 minutes ago, whamby said:

if you live 65 miles n/ne of Atl, you've seen snow in the past 3 years. ATL/Hartsfield is vastly different from your general vicinity. Often the difference from seeing snow from year to year in the ATL metro is just living in the northern burbs rather than the southern ones.

I was living south of I-20 my entire life until this past August. The most snow I've seen in the last 3 years was a brief light snow shower that barely gave a light dusting.

4 hours ago, griteater said:

Preliminary forecast from Judah Cohen's model

<snipped graphic>

I hope it's right.  I know he's not got a ton of credibility right now but honestly I am pretty much over this heat.  85 degrees here again this afternoon.  Done baking.

Snow or no, I'm long past ready for highs even in the 60s.

23 hours ago, whamby said:

Yeah you know, Atlanta is always a big topic when we get a winter storm, but Greater Atlanta is as large as the Upstate of South Carolina. There can just be a lot of difference from one end of it to the other.

9 minutes ago, jburns said:

I can handle another golf winter.  In fact, if it isn't going to be snowy it's my second most favorite type winter.

Same here. If it's not going to snow, then it might as well be warm.

Of course, last winter most folks were talking about how the pattern looked good for a lot of snow here, and that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, GaStorm said:

Good to see the Euro trending cooler with a front loaded winter. December will be much different than last year if that is right.

December could be a torch and still be much different than last year. 5 degrees above normal in December would be very cold compared to last December.

2 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

As we've been making a run at a top 5 warmest October, I looked at snowfall for the following winter in those top 5 warmest Octobers. It may not mean nothing but here's the numbers: 

1919-1920: 2.2"
1941-1942: 12.4"
1984-1985: 1.7"
1884-1885: 17.4"
1881-1882: 8.8"

The run of record or near record warm months is impressive.  With the majority of ninas having BN Nov for east I keep hoping to see signs of that on modeling.   CFS today started to hint at that.  Just want to get a BN streak going.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

If you have not read it yet DT has some good info on the current SAI and what possibly could be in store for us this coming winter. I'm very skeptical of the SAI but this seems to be in a more weak, neutral state. So we will see. I can tell you so far the AO has been in the solid negative range for awhile.

The AO is always solid negative until we get to winter.  Then it shoots triple bogey after triple after triple....

Archived