CapturedNature

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing says great luxurious summer weather that all enjoy than this

..AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THURSDAY UNTIL 11 PM
THURSDAY...

THE MASSACHUSETTS DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION HAS
ISSUED AN AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

EASTERN ESSEX...WESTERN ESSEX.

AN AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY MEANS THAT GROUND LEVEL OZONE
CONCENTRATIONS WITHIN THE REGION MAY APPROACH OR EXCEED UNHEALTHY
STANDARDS. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION...PLEASE VISIT THE
MASSACHUSETTS DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION WEBSITE AT...

HTTP://PUBLIC.DEP.STATE.MA.US/MASSAIR
/ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS/...OR CALL 1-800-882-1497.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Feel bad for maple syrup makers and facility workers in museums today.

LOL  I've boiled on some warm March days and it's not fun.  I remember actually sitting outside of the sugarhouse because it was so hot inside.  I do pack syrup but  I have a separate room for that and an air conditioner there.  It helps but when you have a 50 gallon tank of syrup at 200°, the room gets pretty warm.

I hope those that look forward to this weather are out in it soaking it in.  This may be one of their only opportunities to enjoy some high heat and dews.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

LOL  I've boiled on some warm March days and it's not fun.  I remember actually sitting outside of the sugarhouse because it was so hot inside.  I do pack syrup but  I have a separate room for that and an air conditioner there.  It helps but when you have a 50 gallon tank of syrup at 200°, the room gets pretty warm.

I hope those that look forward to this weather are out in it soaking it in.  This may be one of their only opportunities to enjoy some high heat and dews.

Somebody has to stay in there and feed the boiler......lol

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Somebody has to stay in there and feed the boiler......lol

lol I would just watch the evaporator from the outside and go into add wood.  It was like a man made heat wave with the extra water in the air (I don't have a steam hood).  It seems like when you don't keep an eye on it, that's when things happen. 

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

lol I would just watch the evaporator from the outside and go into add wood.  It was like a man made heat wave with the extra water in the air (I don't have a steam hood).  It seems like when you don't keep an eye on it, that's when things happen. 

Don't blame you there, I have visited numerous sugar houses up here and seen many different operations, But it can get awful hot by the evap if you are the one putting the wood to her

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

No hood over the evaporator?  When I was in Future Farmers of America over 30 years ago, we had a sugarhouse.  We rigged up a pre-heater system using lengths of baseboard hot water radiators.  We had it doing three or four passed through the steam before the sap went into the pans.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

No hood over the evaporator?  When I was in Future Farmers of America over 30 years ago, we had a sugarhouse.  We rigged up a pre-heater system using lengths of baseboard hot water radiators.  We had it doing three or four passed through the steam before the sap went into the pans.

It's on my to do list of projects.  I had a preheater on my last evaporator but just not this new one.  I get a good enough of a rate that I don't worry about it too much but I am adding new trees next year and it would help keep my boil times down to where they are now.  There's just something mesmerizing about watching the steam rise though.

But I digress.

I think my backyard sensor has some dew on it from this morning because it's reporting 99% humidity and a 78° dewpoint...yikes!  I see BDL's Dp is down to 74°...I wonder if they can break the 70s streak this afternoon with daytime heating?

interesting if the Euro misses that BD and the NAM coups ... 

tricky bust potential for E/NE zone on Saturday...   12z NAM FRH looks like 100 at HFD and 64 at Logan by late afternoon... 

I got to figure, with this type of air mass ...if that type of boundary slices through there's got to be some slow moving creek flooders -

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

interesting if the Euro misses that BD and the NAM coups ... 

tricky bust potential for E/NE zone on Saturday...   12z NAM FRH looks like 100 at HFD and 64 at Logan by late afternoon... 

I got to figure, with this type of air mass ...if that type of boundary slices through there's got to be some slow moving creek flooders -

GFS likes the BD early Sat as well.

15 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

BML had 11 nights with a low in the 40's or lower in July.  

Average low was 53.

God almighty.

And that average minimum is about 5F above their July norm.

Had 5 sub-50 minima in July, avg minimum 54.2, which was 0.2 BN.  Hit 42, 45 Tues-Wed, closer to 60 this AM.

Will mentioned this earlier and it's probably meaningful in terms of heat impact this afternoon... but, rather ill-modeled (as far as I am aware) DP depression and boundary exists N of the Pike compared to beneath that ~ latitude. 

wondering 'why' that transpired...

but in terms of HI's there's a discerned difference between 93/67 and 91/76!  

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Will mentioned this earlier and it's probably meaningful in terms of heat impact this afternoon... but, rather ill-modeled (as far as I am aware) DP depression and boundary exists N of the Pike compared to beneath that ~ latitude. 

wondering 'why' that transpired...

but in terms of HI's there's a discerned difference between 93/67 and 91/76!  

You can see the deep, dark greens that OKX sampled this morning, versus that boundary strung across northern MA. And then there's FVE, where SPC didn't even bother to plot isodrosotherms.

850mb.gif

9 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

What happened to the days and days of 90+?  This is supposed to be day 3...

I hope you're out and about enjoying the dews.  I know I try to be outdoors in the weather that I love.

This day 2. Yesterday was a miss with the showers. It started Tues and should get to at least Sunday . Not sure why you keep posting the same things? Yes.. Poolside 

Archived