Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August pattern discussion

CapturedNature

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BDF maybe makes it to RI border, but will be shallow. Starts to retreat later tomorrow. Could be some boomers near and just on the cool side of it. 

hoping for that precisely ...  i'm here in Ayer... which should be situated favorably for your synopsis...  

we have to be vigil with these suckers though. could come in and stall at BVY as much as it could roll ass all the way to HFD and beyond.  

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

small cell popped out west along Rt poop... also, heavier action firing east of ALB.  cell motion is pretty much due east - so we've [apparently] lost the SE steering that the models seemed to bust on yesterday.  anyway, since the models haven't been particularly good with details in this late week thing, who's to say we don't erupt an interesting convection here today.  

in fact, how about doing that,... laying down meso cooled air, then... BD doesn't really have to arrive, it just sort of re-collocates along the southern edge of the processed air?  could be one way to handle - 

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We are approaching 72 straight hours of 70+ dews. If that's not a record..it's got to be be close. Do they keep records of that does anyone know?

Someplace in SNE must've held on to 70+ for longer than that in August of 1988.  That two weeks is my standard for sustained dewiness, though I don't have the numbers.  (Except for PWM's 77, their highest on record.)

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We are approaching 72 straight hours of 70+ dews. If that's not a record..it's got to be be close. Do they keep records of that does anyone know?

It's possible you're the only one that cares about records like this.

Dewpoint just isn't as well kept a database, and it's sort of a made up temperature anyway. But Tamarack is right, quick check shows PVD had like 87 straight hours of 70+ in August of 1988. 

45 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm sure you have some weird caveat, but it does look like BDL had a 69° Dp yesterday at one observation:

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBDL.html

Setting that aside, check out this stretch from 2003.  BDL had dews 70+ starting on August 2nd and had them through the 6th when they were in the upper 60s.  There are others but this is one that I could think of.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBDL/2003/8/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

though it's effectiveness at modulating temperatures/humidity wanes along the leading edge, the boundary can still actually be seen on radar's base reflectivity actively moving WSW through NE Connecticut.  In fact, it's providing a bit of a lift axis for TCU.   Bright sun and manageable torridity aligns in this air mass between said boundary and this stubborn strata deck here in the Nashoba Valley - probably clears even here over the next hour. .. .

HI/apparent temperature gradient between HFD and Boston/Essex Co is truly pushing physical bounds... talking 74 to 109!   not sure i've ever seen that around here ... though we've seen similar extremes in actual temperature across that domain space.  in fact, support of this BD isn't really even there when looking at 12z critical SIGMA levels...but here it is, and the NAM certainly hit this hard starting 2 days ago - it's interesting that it takes so little (what it is) to get this shallow sensible weather killer rollin westward under the environmental counter-current that continues to blow the other way, a mere 1,500 or less off the surface.  

6 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ha, I thought when you said the other day that records would most likely be broken, that you'd actually know what the records are.  How can you make a statement like that without actually knowing what the records are, haha.

Very humid here today, temp only in the upper 70s right now, but dew points well into the 70s will keep overnight temps into the mid 70s.  Also strong high pressure cell over New England will slide eastward over time allowing southeasterly flow perhaps keeping temperatures lower a bit come Sunday through Tuesday and perhaps allow a surface low to move up the coastline, too early to tell, GFS has a lot of low pressures east of the East Coast over the western Atlantic Ocean, something to keep in mind about.

49 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

We need to watch the East Coast for tropical development as the next large trough comes through and amplifies the flow off the coast from south to north, any old fronts ahead of this cold front by 20th of August needs to be watched for home grown development that could impact us.

:weenie:

GEFS and others hinting at some "positive" progress with temps looking forward.  Then again, we are in the middle of August:

http://www.weather.us/newWindow.php?x=CT_HARTFORD

http://www.weather.us/newWindow.php?x=MA_BOSTON

http://www.weather.us/newWindow.php?x=VT_MONTPELIER

http://www.weather.us/newWindow.php?x=ME_AUGUSTA

Would be cool to see some of those lower outliers around the 25th to come to fruition but there's plenty of time for correction.  Just neat to see while we soak up some of the best summer weather New England has to offer.

It's interesting to note how the models way overdid the trough and subsequent cooling this week into next weekend. Sure we lose the 97/78 stuff..but the dews stay within a few degrees either side of 70 most of the week..except perhaps Wednesday they go down a bit. You always seethes when models try to break down these WAR's. They always back off as you get closer in. Hopefully not a sign of what's coming this fall.

Dseswsttsyzdxyqeeetrsrdsrs

On August 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM, powderfreak said:

Ewte Ralol I can pictuis with re him all happy stuck to eat s couch while his wife and daughters throw things arrst the wall in disgustttre  ear of sdytyttr humidity.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's interesting to note how the models way overdid the trough and subsequent cooling this week into next weekend. Sure we lose the 97/78 stuff..but the dews stay within a few degrees either side of 70 most of the week..except perhaps Wednesday they go down a bit. You always seethes when models try to break down these WAR's. They always back off as you get closer in. Hopefully not a sign of what's coming this fall.

IT does Look more active after next weekend with big troughs coming into plains. My guess is back is broken this week but I'm not sure how far west cooler weather gets later this month. 

theses are subjective ideas ... of course .. but, i don't really feel the 'back is broke' in a seasonal progressive sense this week. we lose the current absurd combination of temperature and dew points, but we have to regardless of whether this took place on June 25 or now. 

this was an anomaly, and by (partial) numeralology (graphically in time) they rarely present the point in time in which the seasonal trend line reverses slope; but not just reverse slope, but hardened and obviously not going to return - i don't get the feel that's happened.  if they do, it's more like coincidence.  in fact, though the tele's are about as annually useless as possible pretty much this week... if there is some vestigial shred of correlation there, it's hot until the 25th at the earliest... who knows, but i 'feel' summer 2016's back doesn't break this year until then. 

we had lower DPs air masses with 850mb drop below 10 C in July this year ... the back wasn't broke in July ;) 

buuuut, that's just the way it looks to me at this moment.  if we look back come December, we'll know more precisely when the 'back broke' - for that matter.. heh, maybe the back isn't broke, but it lifted more than it should and will be on the couch for a week doin' a Relafan bender... 

90/71 here ... ooph

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Closing in on 30 90+ days at BDL..I'm not sure of exact number but I believe it 26 or 27

I believe 27 would include today, roughly 10 days above normal for BDL.

Outside shot at the 1983 record, but they would probably need to hit just about every day for the rest of this month.

30 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

IMO that is quite impressive but undoubtedly there will be dissent from the usual suspects.

That is pretty impressive.  Even BTV has had like a dozen which is probably more impressive.

I was shocked to hear BDL averages like 18 days of 90+ a season...I'm not sure why I thought it was like 8-10.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That is pretty impressive.  Even BTV has had like a dozen which is probably more impressive.

I was shocked to hear BDL averages like 18 days of 90+ a season...I'm not sure why I thought it was like 8-10.

CON averages like 10-11 depending on how you choose to break up the period of record.

PWM averages like 5. Glad we live there.

Archived