Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August pattern discussion

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i poked around on the web for a bit but couldn't find much of any evidence that there were GFS upgrades between last summer and this spring; which i looked because the GFS is performing oddly in one specific area, surface SIGMA pressure-patterning, compared to what i remember it being up through last summer. 

there was an increase in computing capacity ..by an order of magnitude, actually, as well as an incorporaton of a 4-D variable system during the summer of 2015 - not sure how that would cause the 'oddity' (if at all), but in terms of actual physical/mathematical parameters, not sure...

basically, the GFS operational run CAN'T bring heat to New England unless the outlook interval(s) is/are < ~ 2 days.  anything beyond that, i've just come to the conclusion that it just has physics that will always engineer surface high pressure that is out of sync with the mid levels.  in fact, it keeps blithely taking boundaries under ridges some hundreds of kilometers, causing N flow up this way, when we have delta(H) rising when it does...soaring to 590 DAM... and we end up with 74 F in a Golf weather N flow at the surface.  

it's been plaguing the late short and middle/extended ranges all summer, regardless of pattern idiosyncrasies.  it's going to evolve some heat killer reason, regardless... 

it's not always wrong though...  but this 12z run is doing the same thing... 

Actually the last GFS upgrade was 5/11/16, with the hybrid 4-DVAR system.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/changes/

The word "upgrade" is debatable. 

ahhaha! 

...yeeeah.  

actually i was wrong though - the petaflop update was October 2015; not the 4-D stuff back on that time.  

either way, ...and i may be taking some sarcastic license by saying all that; i definitely have noticed though that it's too liberal with cutting fresh clean heat ending surface highs deep into ridge nodes.  it really was one of the last global models to admit to the bigger heat signal we went through last week until it was pretty clear and obvious already -

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

ahhaha! 

...yeeeah.  

actually i was wrong though - the petaflop update was October 2015; not the 4-D stuff.  

either way, ...and i may be taking some sarcastic license by saying all that; i definitely have noticed though that it's too liberal with cutting fresh clean heat ending surface highs deep into ridge nodes.  it really was one of the last global models to admit to the bigger heat signal we went through last week until it was pretty clear and obvious already -

I've noticed a real overabundance of convection from the model this summer. Like it convects every afternoon regardless of the environment.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I've noticed a real overabundance of convection from the model this summer. Like it convects every afternoon regardless of the environment.

yup yup.  that's too - 

i wonder, as well, how much those propagate out in time to effect/induce broader-scaled errors.  Abundance of convection would increase latent heat transer from water vapor to geometry in the atmosphere... gee, the list of perturbation emergence from that one error source alone (intuitively) gets lengthy -

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

yup yup.  that's too - 

i wonder, as well, how much those propagate out in time to effect/induce broader-scaled errors.  Abundance of convection would increase latent heat transer from water vapor to geometry in the atmosphere... gee, the list of perturbation emergence from that one error source alone (intuitively) gets lengthy -

We know that model stats generally are poor in the warm season due to smaller scale influences, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt through the winter to see how it responds to big synoptic signals.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We know that model stats generally are poor in the warm season due to smaller scale influences, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt through the winter to see how it responds to big synoptic signals.

yeah, that's a good point about seasonality.  

it'll be interesting to see how well it does when the r-number increase and pattern mobility slows.   SOMEthing has to counter-act the Euro's semi-permanent, day-9 holocaust bomb 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Might have these building highs coming down with onshore flow for coast, but I don't see a lot of nice polar airmasses anytime soon.

Yup.

Kind of like robbing Metherb(Peter) to pay Ginx(Paul). If you get a high you turn flow humid off record warm SST's. No matter how you slice.. You run AC for weeks and weeks still

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup.

Kind of like robbing Metherb(Peter) to pay Ginx(Paul). If you get a high you turn flow humid off record warm SST's. No matter how you slice.. You run AC for weeks and weeks still

Well the ensembles have another cool shot later next week (early Sept). So,  that could happen. However, the general theme has been for models to be a little overzealous with troughing in the east. That doesn't mean this has to be the case going forward. With more tropical activity...the models may be volatile going into September. It wouldn't shock me if we stay warm, or see more of an amplified pattern in early September.

44 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup.

Hopefully your AC kept you nice and cool at 980ft during today's hot high of 73F at ORH.

Will be interesting to see if we use the air conditioning any more this summer.  

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hopefully your AC kept you nice and cool at 980ft during today's hot high of 73F at ORH.

Will be interesting to see if we use the air conditioning any more this summer.  

Remember those posts last week Zero COC in sight. I don't see any cool air anywhere.  It's WAR same pattern, yeah ok Looks like a couple of HHH days before we FROPA, weekend looks sweet.  Euro EPS and weeklies continue with the first week coolness.  GFS agrees

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Heat comes back later this week. Weekend into next week looks fairly warm especially inland. McDoodle takes a hiatus until thicknesses get below 564 again. 

Definitely warmer Friday but it's over for extended periods of HHH lots of  FROPAs and NW flow in our future Might even be NE flow Definitely a big change from the August pattern  

Archived