Newest Member
    Toothache
August pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

Where does one go to find the normal higs and lows for BAF and CEF ?

You can get them here:

http://climodtest.nrcc.cornell.edu/

On the first tab, choose "daily/monthly normals"

On the second tab choose "daily"

And the third tab, you choose your site. Just type in springfield, and several stations will appear to choose from and just choose Westfield/Barnes Muni airport" for BAF. For some reason, CEF doesn't have daily averages which is kind of weird because most of the ASOS sites have good records on them. I get an error for CEF.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And how has MEX(which is GFS based and GFS is not as warm as Euro due to underestimating WAR) performed this summer?

I'll give you a few degrees but even then, so what? Earlier this month was epic...this weekend is not. Again, I'm not sure what we're arguing other than subjective nonsense. It'll be warm, but not oppressive. Perfect summer weather for the weekend. If the BDL tarmac tickles 90 good for them.  I've been losing trust in ASOS and the siting issues recently.

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'll give you a few degrees but even then, so what? Earlier this month was epic...this weekend is not. Again, I'm not sure what we're arguing other than subjective nonsense. It'll be warm, but not oppressive. Perfect summer weather for the weekend. If the BDL tarmac tickles 90 good for them.  I've been losing trust in ASOS and the siting issues recently.

He's not satisfied until everyone is talking about how exciting it is that BDL may get into the upper 80s in the second half of August...especially considering where he lives will be like 82F and beautiful.

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Do you feel home stations are more reliable and accurate?

If the argument concerns semantic phraseology such as 'enjoyable summer weather' - that's not an objective, quantifiable end point. What we typically assess from a forecast standpoint is temperature trends / anomalies. The next 7-10 days should be warmer than normal for the East Coast; beyond that is debatable, though I believe there's sufficient evidence in support of a warmer than normal September. Now, a warm September may very well be enjoyable to most individuals. But from a forecast verification perspective, temperature anomalies are most important. Even if temperatures are not torrid, a warmer than normal pattern isn't worthy of discussion? 

8 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

If the argument concerns semantic phraseology such as 'enjoyable summer weather' - that's not an objective, quantifiable end point. What we typically assess from a forecast standpoint is temperature trends / anomalies. The next 7-10 days should be warmer than normal for the East Coast; beyond that is debatable, though I believe there's sufficient evidence in support of a warmer than normal September. Now, a warm September may very well be enjoyable to most individuals. But from a forecast verification perspective, temperature anomalies are most important. Even if temperatures are not torrid, a warmer than normal pattern isn't worthy of discussion? 

I think the debate is centered on littering the thread with subjective but strong descriptors like "absolute furnace" when we're really just discussing an above normal pattern in late August that probably is not much more than a +1 SD warm pattern.

Not that the pattern talk itself isn't worthy of discussion. This is the August pattern thread after all.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

You just discussed it perfectly. 

It's the constant hyperbole, especially after a true 1 in 20 year air mass, that drives folks crazy.

Your post was nice to read as it lays it out without "WOW what a furnace as far as the eye can see", "weeks and weeks of Air Conditioning coming up", "complete and utter torch for the foreseeable future", etc.  

Then you look at a model and see hey maybe highs are +3 to +5 for a several day stretch but there's some disconnect between the sales pitch and reality.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You just discussed it perfectly. 

It's the constant hyperbole, especially after a true 1 in 20 year air mass, that drives folks crazy.

Your post was nice to read as it lays it out without "WOW what a furnace as far as the eye can see", "weeks and weeks of Air Conditioning coming up", "complete and utter torch for the foreseeable future", etc.  

Then you look at a model and see hey maybe highs are +3 to +5 for a several day stretch but there's some disconnect between the sales pitch and reality.

Why do you let my posting style get to you? You always seem so irritated. Can't just interact normally . To me it's a furnace pattern hitting 90 in Sept

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why do you let my posting style get to you? You always seem so irritated. Can't just interact normally . To me it's a furnace pattern hitting 90 in Sept

lol...furnace?  I only have 31 years of weather records and have 90+ recorded through 9/11 and upper 80s through the end of the month.  I wouldn't call that a furnace or unusual.  It's above normal for sure but not a furnace.

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Haha I'm like the 6th person to mention something in the past couple days.  It's no secret your posting style gets to all of us at different times when we feel the hyperbole is too much.

It just always seems like you are trying to "sell us the weather" as opposed to interacting normally.  Even if someone agrees with you, you then use it to bait someone else.  It can't just be what it is, without strong adjectives.  

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha I'm like the 6th person to mention something in the past couple days.  It's no secret your posting style gets to all of us at different times when we feel the hyperbole is too much.

It just always seems like you are trying to "sell us the weather" as opposed to interacting normally.  Even if someone agrees with you, you then use it to bait someone else.  It can't just be what it is, without strong adjectives.  

I honestly don't know what you mean or are talking about.. Really don't.

Back to the wx..As boring a wx pattern as we can possibly see the next 10 days in SNE. Warm to hot with no rain. 

10 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We prolong

Prolonged heat wave aimed across the eastern U.S. to end August and begin September. Summer's sizzle continues...

CqqObMvXEAQN4E5.jpg

CqqObMwWAAQF5A-.jpg
CqqObMuWgAEqBq6.jpg

What site are you using for verification for this extended heat wave?  DCA? EWR?

23 hours ago, dendrite said:

Avg high is 81F. MEX is 85/80/82 Sa/Su/M with low 60s dews. It's AN, but NBD and actually pretty nice for the last weekend of meteorological summer.

yeah ... i don't know if this post will mean much to anyone, but there are idiosyncrasies about this next week to 10 days of pattern evolution that hearkens back to a conversation Will and I had about a month or so ago; the atmosphere has been avoiding transport of big heat into the NE despite "looks" that would more often be associated with succeeding in doing so. it's plagued this summer really.

as a result, most heat waves have been dodgy,  numbering few, and only one stretch (perhaps a week's worth) where heat/dew point combination approached notable; otherwise, it's like things have "cheated" to keep this summer more temperate than the pattern would suggest when looking at it from the bigger, generalized perspective. 

take the 00z GGEM - nice kind of example run, with 590 + DAM heights and ridge structure approaching epicosity; yet during, it pulls of CAD in the 850 mb thermal gradient of all things...!  Cold air damming, 570 thickness under 592 heights... the result is a sensible beauty in the lower troposphere that really has not right to be that way. 

that's just one run of a dumb idea for a model .. and conditions are less likely to evolve that way - of course.  however, just as a micrososm example of what this summer's pattern evolution has done much of the time.  we've had hotter summers (i suspect) with "less" apparent ridge signals.  interesting.. 

when i step back over the last couple of day's worth of model cycles ...if one didn't know any better they'd think we're setting all time historic mid latitude America heat records in this heights tapestry/evolution.  no way below though. weird... 

----------------------------------------------------------------

sort of OT, ... hey Will, ...remember we were ruminating about the ENSO 'hang-over' last week? 

i see sort of vestiges of a warm-ENSO correlated pattern coming into the west Coast in these runs ...with having heights trying to repeat descend S into the Rockies mid-riff latitudes, and having a strong-ish 500mb wind tack zipping on shore up there.  i'm almost wondering if that's something we need to deal with heading into the first half of the Fall, ...until such time as the hemispheric gradients really steepen up for season's migration, and then that can at last trigger the new rest state - which "should be" (heh) something more neutral-negative.  

none of that includes the polarward indexes interfering at any given time... i'm just wondering about the tropical forcing latitudes in the grand relay from the Pac across N/A...  

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

22 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I honestly don't know what you mean or are talking about.. Really don't.

LOL, hilarious. Know that for every person who actually mentions something about the DIT’s oafish posts, there are many more of us out there who simply don't want to invest the time.  The DIT is stuck either way on this – either it’s honestly clueless about how it posts, or it does it on purpose… either way it’s quite sad.  “We” get that the admins allow a lot of this stuff through in the interest of free speech, comic relief, stimulating conversation on the board, or whatever, but that doesn’t mean that we enjoy having to constantly filter out all the DIT’s agenda-driven hyperbole in what is supposed to be a pattern discussion thread, not a banter thread.

25 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

. I'm not sure what my agenda is or would be. I'm an average person who happens to share a passion for weather like many other folks here. My suggestion to you and Freak and whomever else you guys have  in your "corner"  would be to utilize the block feature . It's simple . Just a mouse click away. On a wx related note.. Man does it look warm to hot the next 8-10 days . The cool down this weekend all but vanished 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:
3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

. I'm not sure what my agenda is or would be. I'm an average person who happens to share a passion for weather like many other folks here. My suggestion to you and Freak and whomever else you guys have  in your "corner"  would be to utilize the block feature . It's simple . Just a mouse click away. On a wx related note.. Man does it look warm to hot the next 8-10 days . The cool down this weekend all but vanished 

This should all be moved to banter but for the record I'd never put you on ignore, haha, as you drive discussion and seem like a fun guy.  Those that know you say the same thing.  However don't make it sound like its only 1 or 2 people who have been annoyed at the hyperbole at one point or another, and it's not a "in your corner" thing.  Just in the past few days in this thread it's been mentioned by Will, Ryan, Dendrite, MetHerb, Ginxy, etc and you know where most of them stand on the excessive use of adjectives to make things more exciting/abnormal/extreme than they really are.  I do think you are an interesting poster but these discussions will occur from time to time when the concensus doesnt think the hype matches the pattern.  It just is what it is.

Back to weather...August will certainly come in above normal and September will likely start that way.

Archived