joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is out of a Trail Journals post by an AT thru hiker posting about the storm when it passed through a section of VT yesterday. 

Link to his entire entry for Saturday

pertinent excerpt " With only four miles left and walking directly by a shelter we stopped for a quick break. Being one that loves weather what happened next was unbelievable. We literally had our packs on ready to do the last 4.3 miles. Five other hikers left 10 minutes before us. Within 30 seconds the skies turned black and then we saw off in the distance funnel clouds and rotation. The packs came back off and within 5 minutes it started to rain and hail like most of us have never seen. This lasted for about an hour. You could not even talk to the person next to you as the hail hitting the roof was deafing.

He has the name of the shelter listed as Kid Gore Shelter in Bennington  some shelter location speciifics

27 minutes ago, NECT said:

Is there a reason Kevin is the only one chiming in on severe today? SPC has marginal to slight chances for most of us, even a 2% tor in eastern NY and far western NE.

My guess is loss of daytime heating and a less favorable environment the further east you go to maintain the line as it currently is.

Guess I'll just watch with Kevin....

Convective update... Line of thunderstorms approaching the Hudson
Valley in eastern NY has not weakened. It will be approaching
surface based CAPE values of 1000-1500 and is not expected to
weaken as it approaches western MA. These could become severe. The
RAP and HRRR are not capturing this convection. Behind this line,
abundant sunshine in southern NY may help a second, potentially
more potent area form and move into our region late this
afternoon.

Look at upstream radar. It's coming 

I looked upstream Saturday while "it was coming".  Then it split N and S, and the dying embers gave me the same 0.01" I'd seen Friday.  Maybe things will change, but now it looks like the action will get here after dark, as it falls apart.

Archived