Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha. Good recap. Have been out of the loop, but seems like good low level and CAPE and shear combined for a classic SOS there. Good area for those.

Yeah came together pretty quickly around midday. We had stratiform junk for a while up here and I wish I had keyed more on the shoreline where we were able to quickly spin up some surface based stuff. 

I missed the messy looking TDS in real time. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it until after the fact though once we got the damage pics and vids. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah came together pretty quickly around midday. We had stratiform junk for a while up here and I wish I had keyed more on the shoreline where we were able to quickly spin up some surface based stuff. 

I missed the messy looking TDS in real time. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it until after the fact though once we got the damage pics and vids. 

Red flags anytime 70+ dews are splashing on shore with a warm front.

These setups are always highly intriguing but they arenkitninlyntough to forecast but tough to relay to the public b/c they don't always produce.  

There has got to be an "x factor" or maybe several that exists which dictates what produces and what doesn't.  I mean we understand the combination of the low LCL's, nearby warm front and directional shear and low-level moisture and how this can help increase 0-3km cape which is important but there are times we have this and nothing...there just had to be something else which is in place to allow for an updraft to just rip into these ingredients.  

Maybe something like the slope of the warm front...I mean not all fronts are equal and differences in the slope can have an influence on its relation to parcel acceleration...just a thought but there has to be something that can perhaps be a huge forecast/confidence boost.

Although not a prolific storm in terms of thunder, wind and rain, the lightning was intense and every close lightning strike caused the power to go out.  

There was at least 5 instances of a lightning strike close by followed by no power for 5 to 10 seconds.  Not good for the appliances… 

6 minutes ago, RIcoastalWX said:

Although not a prolific storm in terms of thunder, wind and rain, the lightning was intense and every close lightning strike caused the power to go out.  

There was at least 5 instances of a lightning strike close by followed by no power for 5 to 10 seconds.  Not good for the appliances… 

My daughter and a few friends are at Misq today. I had texted them to get the hell off the beach. Sounds like a good lightning show

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, Hoth said:

That's the one I was thinking of.

(This is replying to OceanStWx, comment below in italics, not to Hoth, with whom I had discussed derechos last week.  That post, and my reply which I've deleted, popped up when I hit "Quote" (tried several times, tried just posting w/o using "Quote", same results each time) - Still some weirdness on the board. 

How about Caribou this morning? Half dollar to golf ball sized hail, dented every car in the WFO parking lot. That sh*t's straight out of Cheyenne or North Platte.

That potato country does have a high-plains feel, especially when the snow is blowing around.

And I'm with eek on those potato vines - unless they're well chopped up rather than just tipped over, they should be okay.  If there are any fields close to the WSO, they might look a little more tattered.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My daughter and a few friends are at Misq today. I had texted them to get the hell off the beach. Sounds like a good lightning show

Definitely would have been better if the storm was at night.  

Hopefully they waited the storm out - the clearing line is moving through and nothing but blue skies to the north, northwest and west.  Going to be a spectacular beach afternoon. 

Air temp still in the mid 70's and dew point still at 70.  All in all - pretty comfortable… so far. 

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That potato country does have a high-plains feel, especially when the snow is blowing around.

And I'm with eek on those potato vines - unless they're well chopped up rather than just tipped over, they should be okay.  If there are any fields close to the WSO, they might look a little more tattered.

Definitely more open field by the WFO up there. There was a photo of the updraft during the severe weather a couple weeks ago that I saw, and it looked pretty high plains (both the updraft and the landscape). 

I saw the GDamn NAM this morning and discounted that complex it had, damnit. LOL I did shut down the Observation tower 15 minutes before we had the power surge outage. All systems rebooted and back online except 2 speed drives. Our dispatch center took a direct hit at Public Safety and was completely dark for 45 minutes. thats back up and running and I reset all our communications with them. sh it luck really as the majority of the storm slid SE of us.

Archived