Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Still worth watching this late this afternoon. Definitely looks like a localized spike in SRH in parts of SNE. 

With so much low level buoyancy quick spinners are definitely a possibility. Didn't take much for our little storm in the foothills to start rotating.

18 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Still worth watching this late this afternoon. Definitely looks like a localized spike in SRH in parts of SNE. 

Agreed...you can actually see on the observed OKX sounding that there is some directional shear in place in the lowest couple km and looks like llvl shear does increase a bit later on.

while mlvl winds aren't impressive the westerly component to them is the more important factor 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Really...hmm never picked up on that.  Has it always been that way?  I could have sworn it used to have a tendency of being too high...or maybe that was the RUC?

As far as I know, it's always been that way. SPC actually adjusted their mesoanalysis page to account for the bias (since the background model is the RAP).

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As far as I know, it's always been that way. SPC actually adjusted their mesoanalysis page to account for the bias (since the background model is the RAP).

That's interesting...I knew the background model was the RAP but didn't know they had made adjustments.  I think that's why I thought they overdid them b/c I thought at times its cape spit out was too high. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

That's interesting...I knew the background model was the RAP but didn't know they had made adjustments.  I think that's why I thought they overdid them b/c I thought at times its cape spit out was too high. 

Yeah if you watch 2m dew point on the RAP you'll see it mix like crazy for no particular reason. It's done it for a while now.

The HRRR can do it once in a while too. I've noticed it mixes too much in some places and it loves to advect unreasonably high td air off the ocean too.

2 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Shot this from UConn Health Center looking SE toward Middletown....best part is how the lightning reveals the rain shaft....at least thats what I think it is.....yhis is also the storm I chased into Glastonbury Center earlier after I dropped my daughter at dance in Manchester.....

Yes very cool

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah if you watch 2m dew point on the RAP you'll see it mix like crazy for no particular reason. It's done it for a while now.

The HRRR can do it once in a while too. I've noticed it mixes too much in some places and it loves to advect unreasonably high td air off the ocean too.

I'll pay closer attention to that...very interesting.  Yeah the HRRR really loves cranking high dews off the ocean.

terrific clear-air crispy viewing today.  i can see very vivid turrets NW -W of me up here on Rt 2.  

there was a time when i thought to be onto something setting up my HD video and recording these from vantage point, then ... editing to speed up the film later...  until, i noticed that there are too many of these to even see in a lifetime on youtube at this point, so why bother.  but today would probably be a superb film day for cloud videography

15 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Storms over in Maine look good... But why so little lightning?

heights are too high ...  storm glaciation density is lower than typical at the altitudes of parcel max, such that polarization gradients are less than ideal.  less poles, less arcing...and so forth.

best to get big CAPE under a frigid layer above 500 mb ... then we're talkin' Van Der Graaf generator clouds like something out of mid 20th Century cheese-ball sci-fi

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Low echo centroid storms. Not getting much ice in the clouds.

But we did just gust to 42 knots at the office. Definitely had some severe gusts nearby.

Raymond, Casco, Gray, Bridgton Fire Departments are working multiple storm related incidents involving trees and wires down. 14:55

Archived