Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, radarman said:

nice.  Just off the deck low clouds raced in and at one point visibility dropped substantially, but I would guess the winds did not exceed 40kts... may uave been worse a few miles south per your report.

Only 35 mph at EEN, but somewhere probably got a good gust as that core collapsed.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some house shaking cracks of thunder and lightning and torrential rain in North Woodstock, CT a mile or two south of the Mass border.

Over a half inch so far and still pouring in the rain gauge.  

I'm down here for two hours and brought the rain apparently.  

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Over a half inch so far and still pouring in the rain gauge.  

I'm down here for two hours and brought the rain apparently.  

Still going...longest thunderstorm of the season.  Going on like 60-90 minutes so far of constant loud thunder and moderate to torrential rain.

Close to 1.0" of rain in the gauge now.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Still going...longest thunderstorm of the season.  Going on like 60-90 minutes so far of constant loud thunder and moderate to torrential rain.

Close to 1.0" of rain in the gauge now.  

That area needed it too, they got less than an inch yesterday and missed most storms this summer

5 minutes ago, Modfan said:

That area needed it too, they got less than an inch yesterday and missed most storms this summer

This may be the heaviest rain yet too here at the end.  It looks like a fog outside.  Low, low visibility and huge drops.

Over an inch now...increasing rapidly haha.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This may be the heaviest rain yet too here at the end.  It looks like a fog outside.  Low, low visibility and huge drops.

Over an inch now...increasing rapidly haha.

Might be the largest rain drops I've seen in a long time.  Thought it was hailing but these drops are enormous.

Look at how much water those drops are displacing, like dropping ping pong balls into a puddle ...pretty crazy how quick that adds up. Looks like around 1.25" now.

image.jpeg

Edit-- Looks like it's done and it's between 1.2-1.3" as this rain gauge only has tenths. Two PWS a couple miles south are at 1.12" and 1.18", so it's in that ballpark.

Archived