Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I don't know the exact time... I'm trying to figure it out. I had the BOX radar up the whole time and I never really saw anything concerning in terms of rotation but there was that straight line wind sig. 

Definitely no "bright and tight" signature on radar that I could see between 4 and 6 when there were storms in the area. That's not to say it didn't happen, it just seems unlikely. There were occasional mid level signatures that showed up, but they were more in the Brooklyn/Danielson areas, plus they were well behind the outflow which is typically pretty detrimental to tornado development.

The other thing is if there really was a tornado in there, and it was doing sporadic damage from Pomfret to Foster, that's prime TDS range from KBOX (only 40 or so miles).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

505 pm in the notch. Don't know about Woodstock Pomfret seemed like some sheared tops there. The rotation I saw was low level and racing to exactly where the damage was. I am here , daamge was here. Thats the direction the probably 1/4 mile wide rotation was headed, thats about 700 ft elevation I am 515 so maybe it scrapped there and lifted?

Okay, based on your map at least there was some mid level rotation in the storm, so we can't rule it out as a possibility. Based on the storm environment I would say anything that did form would have been brief and weak. If there is continuous damage along that line it would more likely be straight line than tornadic.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Chris, what causes the distinct green hue I experienced yesterday

That has more to do with the core aloft. If you get a big enough storm with a lot of water in it, the late day sun gets scattered through the core and you can get different colors. I'm guessing the preferred diurnal timing of storms results in preferential green hues. So contrary to popular belief it's not a big hail or tornado thing, just a big storm period (which of course could also contain hail and tornadoes).

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Okay, based on your map at least there was some mid level rotation in the storm, so we can't rule it out as a possibility. Based on the storm environment I would say anything that did form would have been brief and weak. If there is continuous damage along that line it would more likely be straight line than tornadic.

Yea, one thing was it wasn't raining either here or in Foster when this occurred

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That has more to do with the core aloft. If you get a big enough storm with a lot of water in it, the late day sun gets scattered through the core and you can get different colors. I'm guessing the preferred diurnal timing of storms results in preferential green hues. So contrary to popular belief it's not a big hail or tornado thing, just a big storm period (which of course could also contain hail and tornadoes).

Thanks, always remember my late Mom who lived in Tornado alley and actually had a next door neighbor killed by a tornado telling me that she always remembered the green hues right before Tornadic storms.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You can see nice mid level rotation on OKX but it was a low level mess on BOX.

Considering the worst of the damage was on the Pomfret/Woodstock line where BOX did show a straight line wind sig my guess is no tornado. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea, one thing was it wasn't raining either here or in Foster when this occurred

Running it back to 2105z or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some sort of wall cloud pass over you. The outflow hadn't pushed south of those storms yet, and was still attached to the updraft around that time (as I showed in the picture). IF something were going to happen, that would be the area. 

kbox.png

We had outflow attached to the cluster that raced towards our office yesterday, and right in that notch we had weak rotation too. It's always a good area for stronger impacts from the storm.

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

You can see nice mid level rotation on OKX but it was a low level mess on BOX.

Considering the worst of the damage was on the Pomfret/Woodstock line where BOX did show a straight line wind sig my guess is no tornado. 

Sounds like there are two areas of damage, Pomfret/Woodstock almost certainly seems straight line to me based on radar. The stuff into Foster (those sh*ts get all the good weather in RI) has a little more intrigue based on the radar I just posted. The low level meso was really weak, and in low signal to noise regions, but the mid level meso was there.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Running it back to 2105z or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some sort of wall cloud pass over you. The outflow hadn't pushed south of those storms yet, and was still attached to the updraft around that time (as I showed in the picture). IF something were going to happen, that would be the area. 

kbox.png

We had outflow attached to the cluster that raced towards our office yesterday, and right in that notch we had weak rotation too. It's always a good area for stronger impacts from the storm.

Yep, probably. At any rate fun stuff but Momma not having so much fun with no power at home and the two new Foster puppies not feeling well.

CpsJqbJWcAEEF0L.jpg

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

HRRR saying several rounds of convection tonight, including a midnight bowing cluster.

The RAP is pretty intriguing as well. I wonder if the nose of the increasing MLJ is going to really allow for convection to blossom...looked like a decent LLJ too becoming like WSW with near S Sfc winds 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you guys meaning all areas or NNE or SNE or where?

I think after evening we'll see activity form or push into MA and CT as well.  We remain quite unstable after dark and see winds aloft increase and a s/w push through like southern VT  or N MA

Archived