• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

So took my daughter to ballet in Manchester and then while she danced I chased.....lol....it was intense.....constant lightning, torrential rain, branches down wverywhere.....saw a tree split by lightning......Gastonbury Center south to South Glatonbury.....oh man....I got some shots but not great

DA9B757F-5428-4901-97D3-314EB71C34E1_zps

83369A1D-D203-4B99-BC18-55B734072C23_zps

8C0F2FB2-3BB1-44A7-87C1-2326B727C7E5_zps

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard some distant thunder (I'm in the Litchfield area) and went inside to look at the lightning display to see where it might have come from, but it looks like the huge activity is south/east of Hartford, which must be too far away for me to hear it.

The stuff in Eastern NY is too far away as well.

Guess it will remain a mystery.

OK, after going outside again, my best guess is that I'm hearing the storm in E. NY.

But wow, the intensity of the lightning south of Hartford looks awesome (and it seems to be backing westward, if I'm reading it correctly - now it's getting closer to Waterbury, so maybe if I wait long enough it will be in MBY instead of the ENY storm).

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Am I glad I came to Southington!  We were sitting on the hot tub naked b/c it was too hot to go in and I was checking radar and made a determination we shouldn't go in...so I go to the middle school down the road and getting video!  Once this exits we can get some tub time in 

The intense lightning in that area has hardly moved over the past half hour.

Good light show for you, I hope...

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Quick video of lightning.  

Mommy camcorder (I hope) caught a power flash I believe...whole horizon was bright green for 2-3 seconds then a few CG's

Looks like heat lightning to me. All I see are some flashes hidden by a big tree. :P. Just kidding, congrats on finally getting something to chase this summer. Looks fun. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Meh video.

:weenie:

i just took a 40 second video with my phone for the fun of it.  Once I get back to school in s couple weeks and have Internet I can get it uploaded...I want to watch and see if it caught the power flash...had to be one...the horizon and just above was glowing green for a good 2-3 seconds then CG's just spat out 

Archived