Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Booming thunder to my SE heads up MBRI

Not to bad in WG, solid  1".  WGPD  HQ  got hit  in this recent cell about 45 minutes ago,  they are accessing building now.  No smoke but burning smell.  Lots of trees /wires  that turned into fires  in Coventry, reports of 2-3" there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom saw a tornado tonight in Warren, CT, over Lake Waramaug.  Said it came very close to the restaurant she was having dinner in.  Said it had a wall cloud and multiple suction vorticies rotating around a broader center, but seemed weak.  She said there are photos and maybe some video from others in the restaurant, and that they had a great view.

i am insanely insanely jealous.

I think tomorrow could be very active...even in terms of actual severe weather.  The 0z NAM is a bit eye opening actually.  We have weak height falls (which is more than sufficient in this airmass) and has increasing shear late in the day with very backed low-level wind fields with low LCL's and ample llvl moisture.  Also, the NAM isn't terrible with lapse rates either...right around 6C/km as opposed to 5.5.  

I should add, because my mom is an excellent weather observer (she got me started in this hobby) that my mother told me that she noticed on her car thermometer while driving to dinner that over the 2 mile drive, the temp jumped 12 degrees, and she figured there was some sort of outflow boundary around and that the storms could be spicy.  God bless her and my genetic weather weanie roots.

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Since radar didn't show much mid level rotation I doubt they'll investigate - there also seems to be a number of pockets of wind damage as opposed to a really concentrated area or narrow path.

Certainly could have been a spin up - wouldn't surprise me given the environment but we'll probably never know. 

I hate this website again didn't quote Ryan 

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think tomorrow could be very active...even in terms of actual severe weather.  The 0z NAM is a bit eye opening actually.  We have weak height falls (which is more than sufficient in this airmass) and has increasing shear late in the day with very backed low-level wind fields with low LCL's and ample llvl moisture.  Also, the NAM isn't terrible with lapse rates either...right around 6C/km as opposed to 5.5.  

Wiz 4km Nam has nada?

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Wiz 4km Nam has nada?

Eh I haven't really been impressed with the 4 km NAM this summer really.  While the greatest likelihood may be north of CT (I did think that going into today as well), with this airmass it doesn't take much to get things going.  Now perhaps Sunday is the much bigger day but late afternoon we see some weak height falls (before they look to rise late evening) with increasing shear and good directional shear.  

Once again we have leftover boundaries which will be a focal point and is something that could have helped with NE CT storms earlier.  

I think late tomorrow afternoon into early evening sort of needs to be watched and with stronger winds aloft and perhaps some steeper mid-level lapse rates the threat for damaging winds could be enhanced a bit 

8 hours ago, Drz1111 said:

My mom saw a tornado tonight in Warren, CT, over Lake Waramaug.  Said it came very close to the restaurant she was having dinner in.  Said it had a wall cloud and multiple suction vorticies rotating around a broader center, but seemed weak.  She said there are photos and maybe some video from others in the restaurant, and that they had a great view.

i am insanely insanely jealous.

Wow!!! Can you send me some of that video? I'd love to see it!

this is insane from Cocorahs in Dayville. I had 1.65 in 35 minutes myself

Station Number: CT-WN-6
Station Name: Dayville 2.0 ENE
Date: 8/12/2016 6:25 PM
Submitted 8/12/2016 11:26 PM
Notes: Lots of lightning, cloud to cloud and cloud to ground. This is a one hour report starting at the beginning of rain. It is still raining, though much reduced rate.
Taken at Registered Location: True
Precip Duration Minutes: 60
New Precip Amount: 3.38 in.

12 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Radar didn't show much but certainly could have happened.

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Tree fell on Truck on 395 exits 91 92 which is my exit. Hopefully they investigate from that area to RT6 in Foster as that would be exactly where that rotation headed. Radar had a distinct notch Many noted it at the time 

What's your best guess on timing? If it's when I think it was from the radar I just looked at, I'm not sure I ever would have issued a TOR unless somebody gave me video of it on the ground at the time. There's a good straight line wind signature in the Pomfret area around 21z though.

The beam is roughly 2-3 kft above ground in that area of CT, so certainly high enough to miss a real low level spin up, but low enough that you would expect to see some rotation.

11 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Since radar didn't show much low level rotation I doubt they'll investigate - there also seems to be a number of pockets of wind damage as opposed to a really concentrated area or narrow path.

Certainly could have been a spin up - wouldn't surprise me given the environment but we'll probably never know. 

Time for that CASA network in New England...

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What's your best guess on timing? If it's when I think it was from the radar I just looked at, I'm not sure I ever would have issued a TOR unless somebody gave me video of it on the ground at the time. There's a good straight line wind signature in the Pomfret area around 21z though.

The beam is roughly 2-3 kft above ground in that area of CT, so certainly high enough to miss a real low level spin up, but low enough that you would expect to see some rotation.

I don't know the exact time... I'm trying to figure it out. I had the BOX radar up the whole time and I never really saw anything concerning in terms of rotation but there was that straight line wind sig. 

10 hours ago, Drz1111 said:

I am literally about to spend thousands of dollars to go storm chasing out west next spring and she has a tornado pass over her goddamn head while having lamb chops and merlot.  Of freakin' course.

Don't sweat it, you'll see much better than anything around these parts.

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

505 pm in the notch. Don't know about Woodstock Pomfret seemed like some sheared tops there. The rotation I saw was low level and racing to exactly where the damage was. I am here , damage was here. Thats the direction the probably 1/4 mile wide rotation was headed, thats about 700 ft elevation I am 515 so maybe it scrapped there and lifted?

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think today is a Vermont special. 

It looks like around 21z or so we start seeing some weak height falls approach and a weak piece of s/w energy.  I wouldn't be surprised if after 4-5 PM we see some activist either work into or develop over CT...persisting until about 10 or so

Archived