Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Friend sent this pic from East Windsor, CT at 2:10 pm.....looking north or northwestish he said...with rotation....wall cloud?  Regardless cool pic.....

Very loud in Cheshire, CT about 20 min ago......several bolts in broad daylight and close......

3238962719736465134-account_id=0.jpg

Yeah we saw a wall cloud looking lowering from our BDL camera for sure.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bobbutts said:

I put all computers and network equipment behind a decent UPS system.  It was pretty much a requirement in SW Florida, not as much here, but still worth it IMO, esp if your stuff is for commercial purposes.

All life safety systems are behind huge UPS systems also with a megagenerator for the rest of the building, however that doesn't prevent ancillary devices like speed drives from blowing a cork.There are surge protectors on all equipment, but when lightning strikes directly outside, blows up a tree and then passes directly through underground conduit into systems its a pain to replace surge protectors etc.  We have an extensive lightning protection system in place but yowsers this sucks. This was the tree Saturday right next to underground surveillance conduit. Today the Public Safety building took a direct hit to its antennae. 

tree.jpg

I think there's a spinner threat next 2 days (Friday/Saturday) as low level wind fields start to strengthen. Models get close to 30 knots at 850mb out of the west... with super low LCLs and plenty of instability there could be some interesting looking storms in the low levels. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think there's a spinner threat next 2 days (Friday/Saturday) as low level wind fields start to strengthen. Models get close to 30 knots at 850mb out of the west... with super low LCLs and plenty of instability there could be some interesting looking storms in the low levels. 

timing, early, mid, late afternoon?

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

I mean if I were to order threats the next couple of days it would be heavy rain, wind, tornado,...hail. So not a primary threat, but definitely a possibility. Like you say, anytime you get super low LCLs it doesn't take much to get the meso to the ground.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean if I were to order threats the next couple of days it would be heavy rain, wind, tornado,...hail. So not a primary threat, but definitely a possibility. Like you say, anytime you get super low LCLs it doesn't take much to get the meso to the ground.

lightning is first in my book. Lot of house fires today and electrical issues. Contractor told me today worse problems the last week in SCT since Sandy for electrical stuff blowing up. He has crews in Manhatten Norwalk, New haven.  One crew coming east to me in the AM

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

lightning is first in my book. Lot of house fires today and electrical issues. Contractor told me today worse problems the last week in SCT since Sandy for electrical stuff blowing up. He has crews in Manhatten Norwalk, New haven.  One crew coming east to me in the AM

For us, there is really little skill in forecasting the highest lightning threat area. If you get a storm, it will be a threat, and that's about all we can say.

13 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I wish tomorrow we had a little better in the way of height falls...however, given the airmass in place it really won't take much for storms to ignite.  I seriously wonder if BDL can make a run for 80F dews...especially if there is some theta-e pooling. But yeah if wind fields strengthen like that watch out!

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

For us, there is really little skill in forecasting the highest lightning threat area. If you get a storm, it will be a threat, and that's about all we can say.

My new best friend, pretty cool how there are bolts from the blue a lot of times in the fron quad of these storms

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=1;o=0;b=;n=0;y=41.6326;x=-72.5366;z=9;d=2;dl=8;dc=0;ra=1;

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My new best friend, pretty cool how there are bolts from the blue a lot of times in the fron quad of these storms

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=1;o=0;b=;n=0;y=41.6326;x=-72.5366;z=9;d=2;dl=8;dc=0;ra=1;

These kinds of air masses are good for lightning. You can see on the total lightning maps that we're well into the thousands of strikes/flashes per hour across the region.

9 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Wow ... best thunderstorm in years. Shotgun blast right outside the window. Alarm system blown out won't reset. 2 dogs and one cat hiding under the desk. 

That was prolific lightning. I watched constant flashes to the south for like 45 minutes.

Someone was struck on Bread and Milk rd

Finally looking at stuff while I have downtime on vacation, it does look like a good 925 jet sets up tomorrow in srn areas. Not much forcing aloft but if you can get subtle boundaries and cold pool like today, might be able to enhance local helicity. Saturday has decent moisture pooling ally BDF, but again...not great forcing aloft. However MUCAPE increases north of warm front so have to watch that for a few stronger storms. Classic days with big CAPE aiding for lack of good overall shear. 4KM NAM helicity updraft swaths show potential for strong to severe cells.

Archived