Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ct_yankee said:

Went to have a look, but nothing of interest was visible from New Haven harbor.  Sure looked sweet on radar, though. Good call from Ryan.

Possible small tornado in North Haven. Core went over my parents' house before damage started a few miles northeast of there. Cell definitely had that look for a few minutes. Big tree down around Montowese. 

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Possible small tornado in North Haven. Core went over my parents' house before damage started a few miles northeast of there. Cell definitely had that look for a few minutes. 

Really? That was a separate cell, less impressive looking on radar, but who knows. I'll be really pissed if there was a tornado ongoing in North Haven while I was staring like an idiot out to sea...

Not really a chase-able event, though. Visibility sucked in all directions.

8 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

Really? That was a separate cell, less impressive looking on radar, but who knows. I'll be really pissed if there was a tornado ongoing in North Haven while I was staring like an idiot out to sea...

Yeah my mother said there wasn't any wind where she was in Hamden. Just torrential rain. The cell was weaker, but there was a tiny couplet on radar for a minute or two

10 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

Appears so, picked these up from Twitter Scott Mcdonald

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Wish I hit this harder on TV but the threat diminished a bit after those good Monday runs.

Even looking at the 12z NAM today it wasn't all that impressive with pretty weak sauce hodographs. Things definitely ended up a bit more impressive than modeled. The HRRR caught on and had some nice looking hodos - and the SPC mesoanalysis had a nice pocked of 200 m2/s2 Effective SRH.

nROT spiked at 0.87 before touchdown and we were looking at low level rotation close to 45 knots of delta V - but it was not gate to gate for the most part. I think OKX going SVR and not TOR was the right call but it was close. FWIW, that 45 knots of delta V is close to the median of all New England/New York tornadoes as is the 0.87 nROT. The problem is using 45 knots of delta V gives you a huge false alarm ratio if you use it as a threshold so it's tough. 

You can see a borderline TDS (easy to say it is after watching sheet metal get sucked into the updraft on video) and the radar grab at the time of tornadogenesis with a bit over 45 knots of low level delta V (but not gate to gate). There was a huge spike in spectrum width for the entire time the tornado was on the ground in North Haven FWIW - about 2.5 miles.

CpiONNEWcAEj7FL.jpg

okx4-1024x582.png

Archived