wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not hard to pick out where the backdoor front is.  Euro did a good job at showing this several days ago when other models showed the heat continuing.

3013c5l.jpg

Wow, didn't realize dew points went that low.

30 at Timmerman!

Wow, didn't realize dew points went that low.

30 at Timmerman!

Yeah, these are some impressively low dews considering the time of the year, and how much higher they were yesterday.  These northeast winds behind the front really displaced the moisture very efficiently.

Some new storms are forming along the extreme instability/moisture convergence gradient west of Ottumwa IA now.

Yeah, these are some impressively low dews considering the time of the year, and how much higher they were yesterday.  These northeast winds behind the front really displaced the moisture very efficiently.

Some new storms are forming along the extreme instability/moisture convergence gradient west of Ottumwa IA now.

Dewpoint is lower in some areas than Las Vegas is right now. :lol: Denver has a higher dew point right now even.

Today could pass for a late April day here.

Dewpoint of 42 right now is about 30 degrees less than at this time last night.  Pretty damn impressive.  Looks like dews will quickly bounce back tomorrow though.  This time tomorrow night we may be up another 30 degrees into the low 70s again.  Pretty interesting roller coaster ride of air masses.  

you can keep that lakeside paradise in the spring lol, but in the summer in pretty jealous, it's a pick your poison scenario. Tuesday and Wednesday look sticky icky, dews in the 73-75 range.

A pretty impressive heatwave for early in the summer, especially when the Euro was backing off the longevity.

you can keep that lakeside paradise in the spring lol, but in the summer in pretty jealous, it's a pick your poison scenario. Tuesday and Wednesday look sticky icky, dews in the 73-75 range.

A pretty impressive heatwave for early in the summer, especially when the Euro was backing off the longevity.

No heat wave up this way.

post-41-0-79030300-1465825322_thumb.png

The last 6 days...metro detroit went from upper 40s on Wed & thu, to low 90s sat, to upper 40s this morning (low 50s at the airports this morn, even they were safely 40s earlier in the week). Riding the June roller coaster. If you take the laughable ARB & YIP (who are ironically very close to one another), it went from 98 to 41 in 36 hours :lol:

What is up with those YIP readings anyway? Are those numbers actually going down as official highs? They seem to run like 10 degrees above everyone else.

Idk if Stebo knows anything I don't, but to my knowledge,it's not that there's anything wrong with the thermometer, it's that it's in a terrible location? Idk if sun is playing a factor? YIP readings didnt used to be like that, so again its a mystery, especially since the low temps are unaffected. I know the deal with ARB is that its in a valley so cold air gets pooled up on nights with good radiation all cooling year round.

Neither ARB or YIP are first order climate stations though, so definitely not as big a deal as if that was at DTW. Although back in the already cool '70s, DTW thermometer was at a different location than it is now and the area was even more rural so many of the lows from the late 1960s thru 1970s would be the coldest in the area (similar to ARB now, maybe not as extreme). The south side of the airport is valleyed and much colder (almost an ARB effect as well, today). Ive driven by there on the way to work and seen crazy numbers on my car thermometer. The craziest was on 2-20-15 when dtw officially was -13 my car said -22 when i drove past that south side of the airport at 730am! Another factor is UHI. With UHI now dtw is usually rarely the coolest in the area and it's a crap shoot if DTW or more urban DET will be cooler (in the 1970s DTW would be 8 to as much as 10 degrees colder on some nights, though DET was more urban then than it is now as well). One of my bigger gripes with dtw is not lows but rather their mysterious intra hour bumps for high temps on some (not all) days. I am skeptical of some of these because they can be 2 to even 3F intra hour bumps, coming at what is typically not peak heating of the day, & very nearby stations did not see any such bumps. Then again it IS at an airport with concrete nearby, even though the thermometer is in a grassy area, so that may play a factor.

Oh well that's my thermometer rant lol. Just so dependent and changeable as locations change (urbanization, the more rare deurbanization), especially in times when temps are scrutinized to the tenth of a degree.

Archived