Newest Member
    joxey
June 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the days of death ridges building far enough east for us to torch are over

I don't buy this, I know we have been in perpetual NW flow but the pattern has changed, hell the ridge just noses in this weekend and we have 3 days of 90 degree weather and it is only June.

Plus if you believe the GFS then you believe in days of cutoff spinning in the east. Why would that be more believable than days of ridging in the summer.

Yeah, compared to the last 2 summers, there is a actual heat ridge. I suspect we will have a similar pattern to end June, with a burst of heat by next weekend after a trough. Interesting if it rises northeast in July and becomes a true dome for the region like 1983 or putters out like 1998.

These ridges are typical of decaying El NInos going into La Ninas we had the same thing in 2010 as well.

We'll be okay to go without rain for awhile here after the 3"+ deluge the other night.  Grass grew about 2" overnight after that.  

My brother said he heard that Tampico IL, just off to the east of here had over 10" of rain that night.  I never saw any reports like that come in, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was true.  

Models are trending quicker with the front and south with the storms Monday, so we may not get much out of it.  Wednesday night is looking like the more robust storm chance for someone around here as a wave in the wnw flow crosses the region.  We have some top-notch weather in the meantime.  My tomatoes and peppers are thriving.

31ºC currently and was forecast to go up to 33ºC which probably didn't pan out. For some oddball reason, TWN local page shows rain "ongoing" and has the text that storms are moving in when in fact there is 0% chance of anything. It changed back to calling this heat "hideous" which it isn't. They raised the temperatures for tomorrow and Monday - this is a real heatwave for SON.

the days of death ridges building far enough east for us to torch are over

The west coast will be uninhabitable.

I haven't even bothered to look at the GFS during the last 4 days.

Phoenix with a forecasted LOW of 86 tonight lol, although we have had a few 80 degree overnight lows, I believe summer 11' was famous for those. anyone been paying attention to Alaska? They're ungodly warm, blowing away records up there.

Overall it appears a warm and dry pattern is taking shape, maybe those drought calls will verify after all?

Phoenix with a forecasted LOW of 86 tonight lol, although we have had a few 80 degree overnight lows, I believe summer 11' was famous for those. anyone been paying attention to Alaska? They're ungodly warm, blowing away records up there.

Overall it appears a warm and dry pattern is taking shape, maybe those drought calls will verify after all?

I just saw that re the Phoenix low. That's our high temperature today, their bottom. 77ºF is the highest overnight low I had in 2011, don't remember it ever being any higher.

Didn't know about Alaska but they've been red hot for years now around this time.

lol @ sudden major south shift with Monday's setup.  #2016severesuckagewon'tbedefeated

EDIT:  On a more positive note got the new VP2 up and running, and uploading to WU.  Waiting on them to respond back and help me change the profile info for the site ID.  Can't find a way to change the station type on my end.  They may have to do it for me.  

So far the results have been pretty impressive.  Definitely more realistic with both temps and dew.  

Was just in Alaska from June 7th until leaving yesterday morning. I spent my time in the south central part of the state, Anchorage area and the Kenai Peninsula, stayed in Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward and Homer. Really beautiful and mild weather (highs 60s and 70s) for the most part except for some rain and cooler temps over the first weekend there. Locals we came across in tours and hotels and bars/restaurants did remark how warm this year and in general past 3 have been up there.

Locals are pretty weather savvy and are hoping for a colder and snowier winter coming up for the lower elevations with La Nina on the way. Interestingly, this past winter in Girdwood, the ski resort Alyeska had very little snow and mainly rain at the lower elevations (only a few hundred feet MSL). Meanwhile, the upper mountain had over 800" of snow.

Was just in Alaska from June 7th until leaving yesterday morning. I spent my time in the south central part of the state, Anchorage area and the Kenai Peninsula, stayed in Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward and Homer. Really beautiful and mild weather (highs 60s and 70s) for the most part except for some rain and cooler temps over the first weekend there. Locals we came across in tours and hotels and bars/restaurants did remark how warm this year and in general past 3 have been up there.

Locals are pretty weather savvy and are hoping for a colder and snowier winter coming up for the lower elevations with La Nina on the way. Interestingly, this past winter in Girdwood, the ski resort Alyeska had very little snow and mainly rain at the lower elevations (only a few hundred feet MSL). Meanwhile, the upper mountain had over 800" of snow.

Never been to Alaska, but would love to visit.  Told myself if I ever leave the UP, Alaska here I come, but it isn't likely.  I love my  guaranteed snow!

Hot this weekend, yesterday was 87 and today (89).  No AC in my house, but dug out my 2 ton :P window unit from the cabin storage and managed to put it in all by myself yesterday. Slept like a baby last night. Cool down around the corner.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

Any cool pics to share from your trip?

The midweek storms are still a bit up in the air for my area.  The GFS has sped it up a day and has big storms traversing the area Tuesday night, with everything well east Wednesday.  The Euro, on the other hand, skips my area.  It hits sw Iowa Tuesday night and areas to the east Wednesday night.  That would suck.  I'm sure there will still be some changes.  I also noticed the Euro is showing highs over 100 in sw Iowa on Wednesday.  That's some nice heat to feed into the storms.

Found this pretty cool topographic map of Illinois.  Really illustrates the Rock River Valley which Erie resides in.  Can definitely see why it gets so cold here on calm nights in the winter.  

2je769e.jpg

Cool.  Are there other states available?

Found this pretty cool topographic map of Illinois.  Really illustrates the Rock River Valley which Erie resides in.  Can definitely see why it gets so cold here on calm nights in the winter.  

2je769e.jpg

That is a really cool map. Never seen one like that before. Have seen similar maps with GIS 3D modeling software. Those moraines really stand out of the landscape. Was wondering if there was other states as well?

A dry heat today, what a treat. 85/57 currently.

Archived