wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top notch stuff later this week, aside from Thursday. Looks like I'll be at the beach all weekend, mid summer is the best.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
Thursday
Cloudy, with a high near 77.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 81.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 83.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 85.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.

I think by tomorrow that slight risk moves east and least most of WI and IL out of it.

NWS Chicago certainly thinks you won't be the main area of concern, but still thinks you'll get something half decent

Also worth mentioning is the SPC slight risk in the Day 3 Outlook

for Wednesday. The focus for this may shift a bit to the east

depending on how progressive the front ends up being, but there

certainly is plenty of CAPE and sufficient shear to support the

possibility of organized convection, with hail and especially wind

being the primary concerns.

Big difference compared to yesterday.  Thermometer says 93, but prob more like 90-91.  Dew at 67.  Think the weather station may be starting to crap out.  Consistently running 3-4 degrees too warm lately.  

Some wussy pulse storms blowing up over southeast IA/west-central IL in yet another day in June with H5 winds under 20kts.  Feels like we're living in Atlanta in July.  Hopefully a weather system with some balls shows up sometime before the end of summer.

Big difference compared to yesterday.  Thermometer says 93, but prob more like 90-91.  Dew at 67.  Think the weather station may be starting to crap out.  Consistently running 3-4 degrees too warm lately.  

Some wussy pulse storms blowing up over southeast IA/west-central IL in yet another day in June with H5 winds under 20kts.  Feels like we're living in Atlanta in July.  Hopefully a weather system with some balls shows up sometime before the end of summer.

Models looking fairly ridgey in the extended, but we may start to break it down and bring in some stronger flow aloft by the middle of next week.  Something's gotta give for the northern IL/IN crowd at some point, you'd think. 

I've had mine for years and had to replace the temp sensor last year. It started doing the same thing...I read up on it and found the issue is common. It's even a problem in newer units as well, even though they're supposed to have an upgraded version of the sensor and housing.

Models looking fairly ridgey in the extended, but we may start to break it down and bring in some stronger flow aloft by the middle of next week.  Something's gotta give for the northern IL/IN crowd at some point, you'd think. 

Sure hope so.  It's a little too early for such weak flow on a consistent basis.  

I've had mine for years and had to replace the temp sensor last year. It started doing the same thing...I read up on it and found the issue is common. It's even a problem in newer units as well, even though they're supposed to have an upgraded version of the sensor and housing.

Yeah this one's about 5 years old now.  There used to be a big tree in the back, (a little to the west of it) that I had cut down after the GHD2 storm destroyed it.  That used to keep that area fairly shaded during the peak heating of the afternoon.  Maybe it was sort of covering up it's tendency to overheat a little in full sun situations.  Have been putting off getting an aspirated VP2, but maybe now would be a good time if these issues continue, or get worse.

Yeah this one's about 5 years old now.  There used to be a big tree in the back, (a little to the west of it) that I had cut down after the GHD2 storm destroyed it.  That used to keep that area fairly shaded during the peak heating of the afternoon.  Maybe it was sort of covering up it's tendency to overheat a little in full sun situations.  Have been putting off getting an aspirated VP2, but maybe now would be a good time if these issues continue, or get worse.

Mine is 8+ years old now. I plan on upgrading to the same within the next year most likely. 

Mine is 8+ years old now. I plan on upgrading to the same within the next year most likely. 

Cool.  Yeah I think we'll both enjoy the upgrade.  I'm looking around online right now for the best deal.  Sure hope paying extra for the aspirated version is worth it, as it's quite a bit more.  

Went out and braved the 90+ heat earlier this evening and shot this time lapse.  Was hoping this updraft would do a little more, but it refused to play along.  Nice to watch the boiling convective clouds at least.

Cool.  Yeah I think we'll both enjoy the upgrade.  I'm looking around online right now for the best deal.  Sure hope paying extra for the aspirated version is worth it, as it's quite a bit more.  

Found a pretty good deal on Amazon.  Went with the VP2 with 24hr fan aspiration, and also got the rain gauge spikes to keep the birds off of that.  

Found a pretty good deal on Amazon.  Went with the VP2 with 24hr fan aspiration, and also got the rain gauge spikes to keep the birds off of that.  

Never noticed the birds bothering my rain gauge before. Wouldn't be good if the birds crapped in the rain gauge!  :lol:

Never noticed the birds bothering my rain gauge before. Wouldn't be good if the birds crapped in the rain gauge!  :lol:

Haha!  Nothing worse than a bird crapping in your rain gauge lol.  

The current station (Davis Vantage Vue) hasn't had any issues with birds, as the anemometer cups are spinning less than a foot away from the gauge.  That keeps the birds away.  The VP2 doesn't have the anemometer permanently mounted near the gauge/other sensors like the Vue.  I plan to mount it 6-12ft higher than the rest of the instruments, so the anemometer cups won't be a deterrent like they are with the Vue.  

Things starting to dry out around here. Spotty rain the last few days has missed both north and south, as well as decayed before arriving. Could use a good soaker.

Been in a relative screw zone here lately with heavier totals west and east

post-14-0-92614500-1465946772_thumb.png

Archived