joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canal cutters often mean heavy wet snow to heavy sleet/ freezing rain back to snow here in Worcester (assuming cold air in place, etc.), if I remember correctly. The eastern trenders on the map would be mostly or all snow (though heavy and wet as the low gets closest); the west trenders would put us into a cold rain for a bit. Reminds me of storms in the late 60's early 70's

That storm track map seems awfully concise. Is it fantasy or did it come from a met/climo site?

19 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

That storm track map seems awfully concise. Is it fantasy or did it come from a met/climo site?

It's from a Lyndon State College met study of large interior snowstorms...mostly centered around NNE/upstate NY.

So yeah that's what the interior (deeper interior to some folks) are looking for.  The study came up with some climo means for big interior snowstorms.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It's from a Lyndon State College met study of large interior snowstorms...mostly centered around NNE/upstate NY.

So yeah that's what the interior (deeper interior to some folks) are looking for.  

I really miss those storms as well as everyone in the Adirondacks who depend on the snow

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

James does not reflect views of coastal people. 

You do not expect 100-600% normal snow every season?   

I just love the logic of "if the Cape gets 50 inches, and the mountains get 50 inches, everyone should be very happy because it's so even and spread out."

I can't wait for the Thanksgiving posts of "ok Interior you've had your 2-3 inches, now let the Cape have this one."

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You do not expect 100-600% normal snow every season?   

I just love the logic of "if the Cape gets 50 inches, and the mountains get 50 inches, everyone should be very happy because it's so even and spread out."

He likes snow like everyone else. But NNE has gotten the shaft relatively speaking, so the tables are going to turn sooner or later. Even the gulfstream won't always save CC.

1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Canal cutters often mean heavy wet snow to heavy sleet/ freezing rain back to snow here in Worcester (assuming cold air in place, etc.), if I remember correctly. The eastern trenders on the map would be mostly or all snow (though heavy and wet as the low gets closest); the west trenders would put us into a cold rain for a bit. Reminds me of storms in the late 60's early 70's

Not that many people on here care about deep interior snowstorms..lol, but here is the link.

http://meteorology.lyndonstate.edu/projects/snowstorm/

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Not that many people on here care about deep interior snowstorms..lol, but here is the link.

http://meteorology.lyndonstate.edu/projects/snowstorm/

I'm actually pretty well versed on almost all the storms on that list because most of them gave ORH big snowfalls....even if we didn't jackpot (though we did in a couple like Dec '96, close to jack in Mar '01, Jan '87) 

Though I know many people don't care about them. Lol. There's some obscure ones like Mar '85 and Jan '90. 

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

James should be happy if he gets 8" of snow this season. People in Raleigh would be happy with that so it's unfair then to get mad about it. He should enjoy it like they do. 

That's a better analogy, haha.  

The whole discussion is about as weenie as we've seen on this board in a while.  It's like climo was completely thrown out of the window before any posts were made.

Bring back the tags.

18 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually the south coast of CT is the lowest..prob far SW CT around Greenwich to Stamford...maybe another secondary min near GON.

Do not mean to be argumentive, but this area has to have a higher snowfall average than that of Cape Cod, coastal RI, etc. For we seem to always make out better than even eastern coastal CT in changeover events. Note we usually exceed NYC by a lot. There is a huge difference between the bronx and say Manhattan.

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Do not mean to be argumentive, but this area has to have a higher snowfall average than that of Cape Cod, coastal RI, etc. For we seem to always make out better than even eastern coastal CT in changeover events. Note we usually exceed NYC by a lot. There is a huge difference between the bronx and say Manhattan.

Correct

northeast-snowfall-map-10-20-15jpg-ed25a51c4d867f73.jpg

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

James should be happy if he gets 8" of snow this season. People in Raleigh would be happy with that so it's unfair then to get mad about it. He should enjoy it like they do. 

typical sort of scenario for how this goes is ... 

Someone down there, or on the Cape in the late 1980s ... whatever, gets pummeled ... rarely as it may be.  Be it a cut-off deep south track, or some coastal screw job where the storm track decided to go flat by a 100 naut mi too far SE to get anyone NW of PVD involved in the party... you know the drill. 

But immediately the next October, ... the lust embers start glowing in the hearts and mind of the citizens that either region was affected, based in no small part on the fresh memories of the glory bomb from said rareness of the previous season.  

but that ending homage to few and far between, 'rareness' ... you know, it's amazing as a phenomenon - almost as much so as the phenomenon that triggered it to begin with. no matter how much they try, try and try again to keep things into perspective, they still somehow feel (...or act on these forums as though in actuality they feel) 'ripped-off' the next immediate time the more likely, proven climate inevitability takes place of some modeled storm scenario not panning out. 

I first noticed that phenomenon (yes ..at great risk, we're talking a psycho-babble one) emanating from a lot of Mid Atlantic forum/tenors in the earlier years of "forum-dom" social media that followed 1996... Granted, 20 years ago now (wow.. kind of gives you a moment of pause when you say it like that), still... even as of 2004 and 2005, people were somehow horrified watching visions of entitled sugar plum snow fairies' heads lopped off by bayoneting climo.  

I mean, I don't mean to poke fun - that's not the intent.  But, if folks were truly objective and therein, 'realistic' about this stuff, there would never be a retort leveled back us like: "no one in SNE deserves to complain" .. .Likewise, SNE'ers should never say such things to the N. slops of the White and Green Mountains. 

NOOooo.  Doesn't work that way.  The complaint is, RELATIVE TO THAT REGION...  helloo!  Maybe the retort should say, "I hear you - we're also feeling a loss in our weather".   But this 'you got no right to complain' concept - heh... never sets well with me.

Simply put, complaining about your rotten apples by comparing them to someone else delicious oranges?  ... good luck with your sanity -

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

typical sort of scenario for how this goes is ... 

Someone down there, or on the Cape in the late 1980s ... whatever, gets pummeled ... rarely as it may be.  Be it a cut-off deep south track, or some coastal screw job where the storm track decided to go flat by a 100 naut mi too far SE to get anyone NW of PVD involved in the party... you know the drill. 

But immediately the next October, ... the lust embers start glowing in the hearts and mind of the citizens that either region was affected, based in no small part on the fresh memories of the glory bomb from said rareness of the previous season.  

but that ending homage to few and far between, 'rareness' ... you know, it's amazing as a phenomenon - almost as much so as the phenomenon that triggered it to begin with. no matter how much they try, try and try again to keep things into perspective, they still somehow feel (...or act on these forums as though in actuality they feel) 'ripped-off' the next immediate time the more likely, proven climate inevitability takes place of some modeled storm scenario not panning out. 

I first noticed that phenomenon (yes ..at great risk, we're talking a psycho-babble one) emanating from a lot of Mid Atlantic forum/tenors in the earlier years of "forum-dom" social media that followed 1996... Granted, 20 years ago now (wow.. kind of gives you a moment of pause when you say it like that), still... even as of 2004 and 2005, people were somehow horrified watching visions of entitled sugar plum snow fairies' heads lopped off by bayoneting climo.  

I mean, I don't mean to poke fun - that's not the intent.  But, if folks were truly objective and therein, 'realistic' about this stuff, there would never be a retort leveled back us like: "no one in SNE deserves to complain" .. .Likewise, SNE'ers should never say such things to the N. slops of the White and Green Mountains. 

NOOooo.  Doesn't work that way.  The complaint is, RELATIVE TO THAT REGION...  helloo!  Maybe the retort should say, "I hear you - we're also feeling a loss in our weather".   But this 'you got no right to complain' concept - heh... never sets well with me.

Simply put, complaining about your rotten apples by comparing them to someone else delicious oranges?  ... good luck with your sanity -

What about melons?

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That map is terrible. Perrysburg and Mayville in Erie Snow belt along the Chautauqua ridge average 200+ a year for the last 30 years. Colden and Boston in the secondary snowbelt in SE Erie County average 160-200"+ as well. 

Just to confirm...we've discussed these maps heavily in the past and while most of us don't agree with it, it is what our National Climate Database has for snowfall and then run through the PRISM program at Oregon State or something to extrapolate the NCDC data.  

The problem lies in our NCDC COOP snowfall records, which are fairly terrible in the "under-reporting" side.  It seems like for every good COOP snowfall data, there are another 5 that are suspect or measured once a day at 7am, or have missing data, etc.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm actually pretty well versed on almost all the storms on that list because most of them gave ORH big snowfalls....even if we didn't jackpot (though we did in a couple like Dec '96, close to jack in Mar '01, Jan '87) 

Though I know many people don't care about them. Lol. There's some obscure ones like Mar '85 and Jan '90

I remember that one because it was the only good event in a sea of winter puke.

I got 10" with some pellets at the height...

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just to confirm...we've discussed these maps heavily in the past and while most of us don't agree with it, it is what our National Climate Database has for snowfall and then run through the PRISM program at Oregon State or something to extrapolate the NCDC data.  

The problem lies in our NCDC COOP snowfall records, which are fairly terrible in the "under-reporting" side.  It seems like for every good COOP snowfall data, there are another 5 that are suspect or measured once a day at 7am, or have missing data, etc.

Yeah, that makes sense. But the 4 Co-Op stations I've used for those 4 locations have all been a part of the reporting community for decades and should be quite reputable and that is not shown in that map. I know for a fact the Perrysburg location along the Chatuaqua ridge is at 222" average for the last 15 years, and that is just off the top of my head as the snowiest location in Western New York. 

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/

Archived