Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We had a decent event in late Feb. On the whole, it was ok thanks to the Thanksgiving 89 snow event.  Just speaking my neck of the woods.

Yea, you're right....I meant as far as major events go.

The winter as a whole was not terrible.

I actually had forgotten the Tday event for some reason...

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, you're right....I meant as far as major events go.

The winter as a whole was not terrible.

I actually had forgotten the Tday event for some reason...

Reading COOP had almost 56" that winter. Not too bad...but I know what you mean. Each month had snow from Nov-Mar with 1.2" in April.  

The cold disappeared on New Year's Eve (after crushing Dec records), but 7 storms of 8"+ was the most such snowfalls for any of my 13 winters in Gardiner, even if the biggest was only 11".  The first of the 7 was the pre-Thanksgiving thunderblizzard that brought on the cold, then Dec-Jan-Feb each had two.

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is all of this about a -IOD locking a +NAO and another $hit winter?

-IOD is a Nina phenomenon. The NAO is modulated by a lot of variables, so it's way too early to say. The only thing predictable lately about the NAO in recent winters has been how positive it has been, but that doesn't really mean much going forward. I care more about the Pacific. The NAO is usually the least of my concerns.

7 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm pretty sure some bizarre IOD pattern's interaction with the El Nino was a major player in last December's absurd ridge in the southeast. 

I'm not arguing anything or debating its significance....it was an honest question because the IOD represents a blind spot in my knowledge.

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

So, it is more likely to mess up the PDO and EPO...

I think if it goes into an extreme level of negativity as it supposedly has been as of the last month or so it has potential to influence the pattern over the US. I think JB partly blamed the 01-02 winter on a bad pattern in the IO 

6 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think if it goes into an extreme level of negativity as it supposedly has been as of the last month or so it has potential to influence the pattern over the US. I think JB partly blamed the 01-02 winter on a bad pattern in the IO 

TBH, just anecdotally, I tend to not mind $hit patterns in October, so much.

Anyway, looks like we know what the Catch lingo is this season.

PV a couple of years ago, IOD this year.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

October has little to no skill in predicting winter. That's like saying April can predict summer. Not sure why people get so nervous when it gets warm in October.

Not sure the correlation up here, but down in the northern mid Atlantic, if we saw snow in October, it was most likely a death sentence for the upcoming winter. There were not many examples, but it seemed more likely than not.

5 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Not sure the correlation up here, but down in the northern mid Atlantic, if we saw snow in October, it was most likely a death sentence for the upcoming winter. There were not many examples, but it seemed more likely than not.

That's voodoo too. We had snow in many Octobers that had good winters.

Archived