Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

October has little to no skill in predicting winter. That's like saying April can predict summer. Not sure why people get so nervous when it gets warm in October.

This week is really kind of a faux ..or mock Indian Summer. 

To paraphrase the more classic definition of that is a return to a week of summer-like homage after a more convincing stint of colder times, perhaps even following a first snow.  Usually this happens in November - so mentioning this in the same idea as mid October is perhaps pushing it (hence "faux") 

However, we have seen the deconstruction of summer like circulation medium and the returning of more gradient at mid levels/higher velocities akin to descending through the polar side transition season, nonetheless..  And, with that, polar highs with nightly frosts and freezes have taken place.  Now the flow relaxes and the ridge bulges N and we catch wind of warmth for several days.  It's similar in a lot of ways... 

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This week is really kind of a faux ..or mock Indian Summer. 

To paraphrase the more classic definition of that is a return to a week of summer-like homage after a more convincing stint of colder times, perhaps even following a first snow.  Usually this happens in November - so mentioning this in the same idea as mid October is perhaps pushing it (hence "faux") 

However, we have seen the deconstruction of summer like circulation medium and the returning of more gradient at mid levels/higher velocities akin to descending through the polar side transition season, nonetheless..  And, with that, polar highs with nightly frosts and freezes have taken place.  Now the flow relaxes and the ridge bulges N and we catch wind of warmth for several days.  It's similar in a lot of ways... 

We are going to be in our own little world compared to the Plains over the next two weeks. Maybe both owed to wavelenghts and some blocking...the Plains will be quite warm compared to our corner.

19 hours ago, EasternLI said:

That actually argues for the warm waters in the tropical west Pacific having more of an influence. The dry signal south of Japan and the lack of a wet signal over Australia argue the same. I'm wondering if the -IOD transitioning to neutral/positive through the winter allows the tropical west Pacific to have more of a say. We recently had a negative spike in the IOD, however it's modeled to transition to neutral/positive by Feb.

20161011.iod_oct.png

20161011.iod_dec.png

20161011.iod_feb.png

Encouraging....

12 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, just anecdotally, I tend to not mind $hit patterns in October, so much.

Anyway, looks like we know what the Catch lingo is this season.

PV a couple of years ago, IOD this year.

There's been a lot of talk on the +QBO as well this year in addition to the -IOD event

2 hours ago, WhiteoutMD said:

I'm told that the ECMWF Seasonal Model came out with an update does anyone know what it shows for the U.S.?

The euro sip is an interesting. Unfortunately it only shows us anomalies which is different than actual 500mb height patterns. However, I think one can infer what is going on. 

Basically, he shows the potential for lower height anomalies near the NE US and SE Canada with heigher heihgts over Greenland, out west, and over the souther US. A rather strange look. However, the euro sip is a combo of several seasonal models, so maybe models are skewed one way or another.  My simple takeaway is that it seems that the models have higher chances of AN heights (ridging) out near the west coast of US, and perhaps in Greenland.  It also seems some models perhaps are showing a more SE or srn US ridge which happens in Nina. 

1 hour ago, JBinStoughton said:

Don't we (in eastern NE) sometimes do well with a bit of a SE ridge? I seem to recall some explosive late developers walloping the area. Maybe I just made that up. 

Depends how strong the SE ridge is and whether or not we can get some confluence to our northeast. This confluence allows high pressure to build in north of Maine. We had this in December 07 and 08 where eastern areas had record or near record snow.  For you and I, we generally will do well with good high pressure nearby, even if we do flip to some rain.  

Remarkable...all these weak La Nina Octobers had a ridge parked over U.S. east of the Rockies for the Oct. 1-15:

rLZUeum.gif

rAATipI.gif

BUg09Eu.gif

FUVSBx6.gif

NLCtSQF.gif

DJF of those years looked like this:

DJF of those years:

c3H0X2h.png

OUEU8JC.png

uvkDxIo.png

Hmmm....Guess we don't need to freak out over October warmth. I'd say things are going along exactly the way you'd expect.  ;)

22 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

let's talk about the sai. i still think it's voodoo after its epic fail two years ago

I thought about that. I'm not sold on the correlation that it pimps out, but I wonder if it means more, in the weak or neutral ENSO events like we have now. Part of me thinks the strong ENSO signal last year was a big FU to that correlation...however, I'm still cautious on using the SAI. I just wonder if other signals can easily overwhelm the SAI.

28 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

A bit off topic, but I was wondering if there have been any major snowstorms that have slammed all of New England South and North(or virtually all but maybe Cape and Islands, sorry to James)? What sort of set up is required for that to happen?

http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Blizzards_2005_to_present.html

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

looking for stats to verify your claim

Using a place like BOS gives you basically no correlation because the sample size is too low. Using a place like ORH gives you no correlation because the median and mean winters after October snows were extremely close to climo. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Using a place like BOS gives you basically no correlation because the sample size is too low. Using a place like ORH gives you no correlation because the median and mean winters after October snows were extremely close to climo. 

On top of that, if you are trying to say you can predict the winter climatology by using a small sample size (Boston) and tossing out a station 40 miles away (Worcester)...then you don't understand how weather works. 

11 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

A bit off topic, but I was wondering if there have been any major snowstorms that have slammed all of New England South and North(or virtually all but maybe Cape and Islands, sorry to James)? What sort of set up is required for that to happen?

December 5-6 2003 is what I think of for region wide snowstorm.

Not often I can get 20" while south of Boston does too.  

image.jpeg

Archived