• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

NinjaWarrior2

Just curious but why do people in the NYC thread often post things as if they are not part of the mid atlantic?  They definitely are not part of New England, so what do they consider themselves if the Mid Atlantic is to their south?  Some magic land between the mid atlantic and New England. 

Definition of Mid Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic, also called Middle Atlantic states or the Mid-Atlantic states, form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. When discussing climate, Connecticut (especially southern Connecticut) is often included with the Mid-Atlantic region.

Shhhhhhhhh.  

I think they are part of the New England forum and should post exclusively there.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious but why do people in the NYC thread often post things as if they are not part of the mid atlantic? They definitely are not part of New England, so what do they consider themselves if the Mid Atlantic is to their south? Some magic land between the mid atlantic and New England.

Definition of Mid Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic, also called Middle Atlantic states or the Mid-Atlantic states, form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, and West Virginia. When discussing climate, Connecticut (especially southern Connecticut) is often included with the Mid-Atlantic region.

Probably just New York lol. I don't consider myself to be a part of the mid Atlantic or NE

Probably just New York lol. I don't consider myself to be a part of the mid Atlantic or NE

For the record I am talking about as part of a geographical and climatological zone NOT as a member of a forum on Amwx 

I have noticed this for years and what got my attention again today was talk in your forum about the GGEM and how its a hit for the mid atlantic.  The ggem is a big storm for eastern NC and southern VA.  I would call that more the southeast then mid atlantic.  When someone says mid atlantic I think DC to NYC generally.  THis is nitpicky and definitely not something I want to start any animosity about, just honestly curious if NYC has a different definition of mid alantic.  I know when I lived in NJ the first 15 years of my life I heard mid atlantic in reference to my area all the time and NYC is only a stones throw away. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yea well people complained about everything most were talking/fighting about in here so we cut that out and suddenly the thread is totally dead.   I don't care, if this is what people want that is fine with me, I just find it funny that everyone threw a fit about what was being talked about and now you can hear crickets in here. 

For the record I am talking about as part of a geographical and climatological zone NOT as a member of a forum on Amwx

I have noticed this for years and what got my attention again today was talk in your forum about the GGEM and how its a hit for the mid atlantic. The ggem is a big storm for eastern NC and southern VA. I would call that more the southeast then mid atlantic. When someone says mid atlantic I think DC to NYC generally. THis is nitpicky and definitely not something I want to start any animosity about, just honestly curious if NYC has a different definition of mid alantic. I know when I lived in NJ the first 15 years of my life I heard mid atlantic in reference to my area all the time and NYC is only a stones throw away.

I understand, we are a part of the Mid Atlantic geographically but I guess we're so used to anything south of us the MA that we forget that NYC is part of the mid Atlantic. But you are right NC and southern VA is part of the southeast

yea that part kind of surprised me but climatologically I can see how coastal south CT is more like the Mid Atlantic then the rest of New England.   

The extreme south coast of CT is 7a for plant hardiness, so I guess it has that in common with parts of the mid atlantic. However, I wouldn't say that its weather has any sensible resemblance to DC's weather, for example.

The extreme south coast of CT is 7a for plant hardiness, so I guess it has that in common with parts of the mid atlantic. However, I wouldn't say that its weather has any sensible resemblance to DC's weather, for example.

Well every zone has a range of climate normals, and you are taking the northern cold extreme and comparing it to the southern warm extreme in that zone.  I am NOT making the case that CT is part of the mid atlantic btw just your particular point.  There are places down here, mine for instance, that average more snow then the coast of CT.  You probably want to compare the coast of CT to more central or northern locations in the zone to make your point and you probably still are right.  I would consider all of CT part of New England for the record. 

Well every zone has a range of climate normals, and you are taking the northern cold extreme and comparing it to the southern warm extreme in that zone.  I am NOT making the case that CT is part of the mid atlantic btw just your particular point.  There are places down here, mine for instance, that average more snow then the coast of CT.  You probably want to compare the coast of CT to more central or northern locations in the zone to make your point and you probably still are right.  I would consider all of CT part of New England for the record. 

I was comparing a low elevation coastal area to a low elevation coastal area. There are no areas meeting that criteria in the mid atlantic that average more snow than coastal CT. You would have to go a ways from the coast to get to comparable averages. Likewise, you don't have to go very far inland in CT to start getting into 40 and 50+ averages.

I think the bigger difference is in the summer though. It just doesn't get nearly as hot, especially along the coast - inland CT actually gets quite a bit hotter than the south coast. And for severe weather, it's not in the same league as most of the mid atlantic.

:lmao:

Please tell me you live in one of the five boroughs.

i live in westchester but was born and raised in midtown

Edit: also NYC is full of dirty money that stinks all over the place. People just do bad things around here. Government is corrupt and people are just not too happy around here not to mention rent is too expensive for what? And it's ghetto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect Bob Chill to be more despondent during March Madness than any time during the winter. Didn't Maryland fans talk about being a top 5 team preseason?

Not depsondent at all. After watching the final 6 games of the season it was clear that we are not national champs caliber. Not even close. I'm just hoping for a sweet 16 birth. Cal is a tough team in the first round too. Might be 1 and done. 

Not depsondent at all. After watching the final 6 games of the season it was clear that we are not national champs caliber. Not even close. I'm just hoping for a sweet 16 birth. Cal is a tough team in the first round too. Might be 1 and done. 

You're right.  Cal is a dangerous team.

You're right.  Cal is a dangerous team.

Yep. SD State "should" be a very easy win. Cal is a different story. Hopefully HI upsets them. My last post came off wrong. I didn't mean 1 game and done. I meant 1 weekend and done. I'm not sure what happened to MD but something flipped. Melo might have been playing injured but that doesn't explain a lot of the other things like sloppy ball handling and letting seemingly weaker offenses have their way.

It's hard to say who wins it all this year. My guess is no #1 seed. I think MI St has the best shot but that's a guess based solely on their coaching and endless experience in the tourney. Maybe Nova or OR. I have a hunch that KU doesn't make it to the final 4. But I could also see KU win it. It's a very very tough year with the brackets. Getting the winner right is a head scratcher for sure. 

Friend of one of my neighbors is selling a house in the Great Cacapon, WV area. Snow lovers might want to consider this!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3553-Rockford-Road-Great-Cacapon-WV-25411/2099344775_zpid/

There's the listing - our family is not jumping on this ;) but I know some of you folks might want to get farther away from the fall line or at least have another place. 

Archived