• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

i am the last person to bow to the gfs but let us give it a little credit as far as Monday goes...it had the right idea that there was not going to be a big event...yeah perhaps theres some snow in southern sections and perhaps it was too far offshore when a handful of other runs showed good solutions but overall it had the right idea

maybe that is how this model should be used...for a broad overview and not specifics

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think gynx has a theory going on the gfs that pertains to that. Good find.

I have a theory too, it's called blind squirrel. OP runs have only slightly more skill than climo at 312 hours.

However, and maybe this is his theory, that at the lower resolution they don't blow up spurious little shortwaves and they tend to stick to the longwave maxes more. That often works out at verification, not always. That's what Rayno was doing, it's not difficult to see which energy was always dominant in this setup...the one associated with the longwave trough.

I remember about 10 15 years ago they had a year that was really bad alot of trails were close in southern quebec

I have been ok with the winter in Nashua

That Being said, the winter is an utter joke for NNE.

It's sad.

I'm going to Stowe sat nite/ Sun nite (skiing Sunday) . Gf wanted to do some husky led ride around and about , sorry not enough snow.

But uncle's brother in law is a snow riding maniac and conditions are a joke in many parts of FAR NNE. Bottom 5% of all winters there , prob worse.

Snowfall wise we are running near normal for the season. 30". Temps have been warm, no doubt. You won't see me complaint about this winter. We left 2011/12 in the dust a long time ago. That season had 12" here.

Even those with only moderately crappy totals in 11/12 got them from the octobomb. It was an awesome spectacle of nature, but it was fall, not winter...ruined Halloween and that wasn't cool. So that real winter was absolutely terrible, first winter in my current house and I remember exactly one plowable snowfall. There were some others that might have been a few inches but ended as rain and torch and I didn't have to bother clearing the driveway as it was a pile of watery slush by the time the rain stopped.

Even those with only moderately crappy totals in 11/12 got them from the octobomb. It was an awesome spectacle of nature, but it was fall, not winter...ruined Halloween and that wasn't cool. So that real winter was absolutely terrible, first winter in my current house and I remember exactly one plowable snowfall. There were some others that might have been a few inches but ended as rain and torch and I didn't have to bother clearing the driveway as it was a pile of watery slush by the time the rain stopped.

Right. Met Winter that year was 100% hopeless in SNE. There was very little to ever look forward to. We had the constant black hole in AK that killed any and all chances. I know NNE has it worse, but in SNE..we have had a decent Pacific lately that allowed for areas..especially S and SE areas to have an ok winter as far as snow goes. We had a couple of nice trends with storms. Unlike 11-12 that was an upslope CJ for VT, any event that looked halfway decent always failed. The only one that did not was that Jan s coast deformation band that dropped 8-12" from BDR to Cape Cod.

it was the opposite here. It was all rain ending as a few hours of snow that did not accumulate much.

Snowfall wise we are running near normal for the season. 30". Temps have been warm, no doubt. You won't see me complaint about this winter. We left 2011/12 in the dust a long time ago. That season had 12" here.

I'm hoping for 12 here. Might have reached it Monday night....I wasn't around to see what we got.

agree 100 pct...i personally hated the october storm...no power or cable for 9 days...not safe to walk around outside during the thick of it and the stupid leaves on all the trees didn't allow one to take in the wonder of a 12 plus inch snowstorm...

that was fall and the rest of the winter was right on par with 97-98 imo

WW is right, when was the last time we had a winter that snowmobiling in NNE basically wasn't possible? I bought one last year at the end of the season and have only been able to take a few laps around my yard!!!

Old timers around here say this is the worst it has ever been by a long shot.  No snow to 2500ft for just about the entire winter.  It's not that unusual not to be able to ride the sleds for a month or two, but for the entire winter even in the high terrain has not happened before.

Right. Met Winter that year was 100% hopeless in SNE. There was very little to ever look forward to. We had the constant black hole in AK that killed any and all chances. I know NNE has it worse, but in SNE..we have had a decent Pacific lately that allowed for areas..especially S and SE areas to have an ok winter as far as snow goes. We had a couple of nice trends with storms. Unlike 11-12 that was an upslope CJ for VT, any event that looked halfway decent always failed. The only one that did not was that Jan s coast deformation band that dropped 8-12" from BDR to Cape Cod.

I still did better in 2011-2012 even without the Octobomb. 22-24" thereafter vs 21" here

Well when it's 8 days out and it looks snowy....step 1 in getting Juked. You guys still fall for that. Gulf low and no blocking should be yellow flag number 1. Today should give us more clarity as the risk of ice is there in the interior anyways. I'd wait before holding hands with Eyewall as you jump off into an abyss.

I didn't fall for $hit.

This is very comparable to 2012 here.

That is tacit.

That wasn't just at you, Hubbdave is declaring this season worse than 2011-12 because he got 23" in 11-12 and he has 21" this season. That's a little ridiculous, given that March 2012 isn't walking through the door on February 21st, or March 1st, 2016.

That wasn't just at you, Hubbdave is declaring this season worse than 2011-12 because he got 23" in 11-12 and he has 21" this season. That's a little ridiculous, given that March 2012 isn't walking through the door on February 21st, or March 1st, 2016.

March has potential, but I'll leave it at that.

December through March that year was abysmal. That black Hole gave no hope. It was easy to see. This time around we don't have that so we have the potential to try and grab some events. We did that over the last month. I know we have had just awful luck, but the 2011-2012 pattern gave zero hope.

Archived