• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
#PD3Attempt#13since2003 -Tracking the threat of the Presidents day storm Feb 15-16 2016

Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z gefs definitely better than 12z. Good number of members with ok snow east of DC. That's my gauge. I don't like seeing large #s of fall line and west stuff. Indicative of razor thin margins. 18z gefs will keep me encouraged until 11:30.

Yeah a definite improvement. I count 10 that are at least decent for my area. Still not sure it means much, unless the guidance is wrong about the +NAO, 50-50 High, AO headed to + territory, and loss of the EPO ridge. PNA still looks ok lol.

Oh, what does he know!

Obviously, j/k.

Actually, it was that clipper th Wednesday before the blizzard that saved our azzes

Ninja'd!  I was just about to make a comment that it's reminiscent of the Wednesday clipper/light snow before the blizzard (the "mini-Commutageddon").  In no way am I comparing the blizzard to the current set up and event, but getting some kind of reinforcing shortwave that helps keep the cold air in more might be a good sign.

The gefs are even better when you consider the snow Max in the mountains is mostly from upslope the next few days. For the storm the max snowfall is actually right through our area. The lower totals are probably indicative of a more sheared out system. But like Ian said this could be just a step on the way to a euro solution. I'm also slightly interested in the possability of something right behind this. There are hints of a second low developing on the heels and perhaps we have a brief window behind this if it cuts befire the ridge out west blasts in.

Problem is GFS and its buddies may just be moving to an inland scenario.

In the proper location I think that can still work...at least for a healthy mixed event. I think the type of cold that's coming is going to tough to budge, especially if we can keep a high in the ne at least at the latitude of about Mass.

FWIW 18z DGEX is also "good". Would be a general 4-8" for all except SE Maryland. Although it's against the west trend so right now I can't say that solution is likely. Also #pointlessobservation , 18z JMA at 84hrs has the High slightly west and slightly stronger than 12z JMA, which was an inland runner.

Do you have a link to the 18z jma?

Gotta admit that when I run a loop of tonight's NAM 500 mb, I noticed a few interesting features. First, that the short wave heading se from the Dakotas has a trajectory similar to the preceding one that heads south of us. Second, that there is a bootleg block over Greenland at the end of the run that looks semi-stable from the vortices doing a dance in se Canada. Finally, there's another short wave heading se that's on the sw corner of Hudsons Bay that looks to be headed to join the party in se Canada which "might" help to invigorate the se Canada vortices enough to act as a pseudo 50/50 block. I'm not claiming that the NAM is right, just that the features look promising. Plus, that block would have to hold to make everything I said have any use to us.

Archived