joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs thread Part 2

mappy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes it does... this is probably the kind of storm where you can drive up a hill and be surprised.

Im in a completely different location than you but this is def the case with this storm.  I'm at about 300' an have a slushy inch on the ground and clear roads....less than a mile away at 450' looks like close to 2" and roads are snow-covered .  just 1 -1.5 degrees make all the difference.

This storm is going exactly like I said it would for my back yard. Interesting drive from Winchester to Leesburg this morning. Overnight I saw not a single flake at my house n/w of Winchester. The rain had just changed to light snow as I left for work around 7:45. Heading east on route 7. 4 miles from my house it was snowing well. As I approached the Shenandoah river the snow become heavy and was pouring as I crossed over the mountain. The top of the mountain by Mt. Weather has a few inches. All of Loudoun County is in moderate snow right now. Just east of Purcellville the snow turned into golf balls. The snow flakes falling in Leesburg are bigger than golf balls right now. Loudoun is a beautiful winter wonderland. Winchester is a green and brown disaster.

Im in a completely different location than you but this is def the case with this storm.  I'm at about 300' an have a slushy inch on the ground and clear roads....less than a mile away at 450' looks like close to 2" and roads are snow-covered .  just 1 -1.5 degrees make all the difference.

My elevation is probably close to half of that and the rates definitely briefly accumulated imby.

Archived