Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

^I agree. 

I knew we would have multiple chances this winter but that didn't mean multiple measurable snowfall events.

El Nino winters often have 1 storm that can make or break winter and give a majority of people their climo average or more and that's what I was banking on this winter, just one. Take 1983 for instance, we had 4 events here in NC but only one put RDU above climo and that was March 24th, we ended up with 10". That winter we had a -AO/-NAO J-F. For RDU specifically, I want to say the average of all strong El Ninos winter snow totals is near climo around 6-7". Therefore, most should have known what we were getting into: An average winter at best. Sustained wall to wall El Nino winter of 09-10 gave Raleigh 7.2"...that's not exactly stellar, so I don't really care about the -NAO. We just need a bit of luck.

Interesting tidbit: Here are the average snowfall predictions made from our forum members, obviously the forum was underwhelmed headed into this winter.

(N=22)

PGV 4.3"

RDU 6.7"

GSO 10"

CTL 7.1"

AVL 15.5"

GSP 7.2"

CAE 2.7"

ATL 2.6"

MCN 1.1"

Hopefully this tempers some expectations and we finish off winter with a bang. I need some more numbers to add to my 1/2" total this year. Also, we got some decent ice/sleet events so not all is lost.

The 10-15 day continues to look impressive on the EPS and parallel EPS with a -AO/-NAO/+PNA

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's JB's everywhere Mack!!! lol

I'm having a bit of fun  with JB on twitter.

1. Howling wind snap to our basketball court. We will not be able to rebuild from this

CboTmcyXIAQSqBr.jpg
    0 retweets8 likes

Retweet

More

@BigJoeBastardi Leave it. Maybe you finally will be able to dunk.

View conversation
    0 retweets0 likes

Well got up to look at this morning's models  and discussion and see that they folded to same ol' solution we've seen a lot this winter.  Next week will be cool and wet with a double low solution. Main low tracking up the west side of the Apps.

A met over on Accuweather last December wrote that the predominant storm track would favor cutters and Apps runners.  I thought he would have to wrong with the STJ and El Nino.  No -NAO, no blocking and he's been right so far.

Indices do look better after this week.  Hopefully this solution holds.  Hard to believe this will be the 4th winter in a row where we can't get a sustained -NAO.  However, I've gotten  4 " imby so far this winter.  For those keeping score at home, that's about where I was in 83 before we got the March Madness record breaker.  82/83 was touted as the closest analog by many.  Sorry if banter

I don't think our storm track has ever not been predominately cutters and Apps runners. Especially the last few years. We almost have to have a -NAO to get a decent snowfall around here. We hardly ever get the timing right without one.

I'm having a bit of fun  with JB on twitter.

1. Howling wind snap to our basketball court. We will not be able to rebuild from this

CboTmcyXIAQSqBr.jpg
    0 retweets8 likes

Retweet

More

@BigJoeBastardi Leave it. Maybe you finally will be able to dunk.

View conversation
    0 retweets0 likes

ha ha. JB... lol  I maean J Burns................. See you never know who i'm referring to when I use JB!!! 

Well at least ole JB still has a snowpack.

Saw a coyote tearing into deer about 20 yards off the side of the road today. Probably hit by a car. But this coyote had to have been a coywolf or the hybrid whatever they term them now. He was healthy. It's getting as common to see and hear them out where I live as it is the deer now, which is saying alot.

Anyway "now you know the rest of the story" slow in here tonight. Usually it the second week of March before it's this quiet. Percusor to next winters super lanina.

Archived