joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the good news is the cmc ensemble looks better on the 27-29th as far as that goes. Maybe the models are just overdoing the location in response to the lack of the PNA, it has to compensate for the large block somehow and that's the answer.

We need both a good ridge position and the PV to move southeast over the NE, it can't be as far north as the EPS shows day 7.  At this range it's still in play.

Hate to say it but seeing the latest model runs it looks like winter is officially over. Models are trending warmer and looking like I will finally be able to pull out my fishing poles and start looking over my tackle.

Fine with me. We had a good winter up here, with a big storm and some smaller isolated NW events. Now I can finally look forward to longer days and Southport visits  :sun:

For as pessimistic as I was about this winter back in early January, I didn't think that Feb would look like this.  Next few days are solidly above normal in the east which should wipe out the weak below normal temps in the southeast.  

And pic below that is the past 60 days, heart of winter for us. 

post-2311-0-62912000-1456154913_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-47962600-1456155042_thumb.pn

ATL is running above normal for Feb, and will finish winter at least +4 for temps. Next winter can't possibly be any worse.

yes it could.

This is a warmer version of 98 and look what happened with the nina that followed 98,  :facepalm: .

Expectations will be more realistic from most next winter, as long as people don't believe JB.

cd64.102.249.9.52.9.11.47.prcp.png

98 was much worse than this winter. The one thing that hurt us this year was lack of a -nap. Who knows, maybe next year we get a sustained one.

I disagree, 98 had an event 2-4" of snow across central NC, this year we got 1" of sleet.   :bag:   Like I said back in early January before my break I would happily take another 98 repeat.

The past few months the NW atlantic ridge has been a killer, the hostile atlantic finally took it's toll, we can only fight +NAO for so long.  Future winters we need the atlantic to flip.  I can't imagine how warm next winter could potentially be with a SE ridge and NE atlantic ridge, a 99 repeat.

post-2311-0-26480800-1456158278_thumb.pn

98 was much worse than this winter. The one thing that hurt us this year was lack of a -nap. Who knows, maybe next year we get a sustained one.

much worse for you maybe. I had about 2" of snow in 98 and there was another big snow in southern and central MS and AL. This year if you weren't in the mountains or along and north of I-40 you were screwed.

much worse for you maybe. I had about 2" of snow in 98 and there was another big snow in southern and central MS and AL. This year if you weren't in the mountains or along and north of I-40 you were screwed.

Agree, just look at the patterns, we really never got the plains to se trough going this winter, 98 was a crap pattern but this was worse, much worse.  A large area got hit with that Jan blizzard so we won't be able to convince those people otherwise because all we really care about is snow, me included.

post-2311-0-55437400-1456158848_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-89793700-1456158855_thumb.pn

Since this year was a warmer version of 98, are you saying next December ATL could be +15 to +20 ? ATL was +12 this Dec.

I sure wouldn't bet on cold with a nina and this terrible atlantic we have.  Lot can change in the next 9-10 months though.  I do think the atlantic flips down the road, whether it's next winter or in 5 years, but hopefully things get better.

Even with this winter being crappy, I still managed to get more snow than last winter. And last winter was much colder here. Of course I had no snow last winter so it wasn't hard to beat last winter. We are in a really awful stretch of winters around here going back to 2011-12 with the only exception being 2013-14.

I disagree, 98 had an event 2-4" of snow across central NC, this year we got 1" of sleet.   :bag:   Like I said back in early January before my break I would happily take another 98 repeat.

The past few months the NW atlantic ridge has been a killer, the hostile atlantic finally took it's toll, we can only fight +NAO for so long.  Future winters we need the atlantic to flip.  I can't imagine how warm next winter could potentially be with a SE ridge and NE atlantic ridge, a 99 repeat.

We had an active severe season in 98 as well.

Just glanced it and the CMC, getting old seeing cutters. :axe:

Ensembles FTW?

It's not a cutter, it tracks across Raleigh at 996mb. Adjust the cold ever so slightly and we are in business. I still anticipate a snowy run again with the amount of uncertainty involved, only a matter of which run.

It's not a cutter, it tracks across Raleigh at 996mb. Adjust the cold ever so slightly and we are in business. I still anticipate a snowy run again with the amount of uncertainty involved, only a matter of which run.

I quit looking when I saw it track from southern Tx to northern AL. ;-)

I quit looking when I saw it track from southern Tx to northern AL. ;-)

are you talking the day 7 event or the day 9-10?

I posted yesterday about not being a big fan of the pv over Hudson bay. Usually it ends up being too far north for us and this looks to be the case. Give me a ridge over Hudson bay.

are you talking the day 7 event or the day 9-10?

I posted yesterday about not being a big fan of the pv over Hudson bay. Usually it ends up being too far north for us and this looks to be the case. Give me a ridge over Hudson bay.

Day 9. Agree on PV over HB, we need it further east and south.

I dunno Jon; I think the fat lady is clearing her voice for this one already.

post-309-0-29114000-1456165973_thumb.gif

12Z Euro has this LP cruising through the Lakes at day 7. The 12Z UK has it in almost the same exact position as the 12Z Euro at Hr. 144. Maybe it will show something later with the big push of cold air it brings through.

*Edit* Pops a Coastal on Day 9 but it's too far out to sea; no precip inland.

Not really looking at 1/28 I'm looking in March, also looking at ensembles. Not sure I prefer any solution at this time to be honest. I'm fine if it doesn't happen and since the models backed off I'm less optimistic, however tons of time left and as I've mentioned models are literally all over the place. Compare 500mb vorticity on March 1st-3rd on the big 3 models. You can't tell me there's agreement.

Not really looking at 1/28 I'm looking in March, also looking at ensembles. Not sure I prefer any solution at this time to be honest. I'm fine if it doesn't happen and since the models backed off I'm less optimistic, however tons of time left and as I've mentioned models are literally all over the place. Compare 500mb vorticity on March 1st-3rd on the big 3 models. You can't tell me there's agreement.

I'll really be glad when 10+ days out , starts getting into April, so we will be out of this misery!

Archived