Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we don't have much to discuss, let me tear it apart. Surface temps above freezing and 850s borderline.

LOL, plus not much QPF on this side of the Apps (2ms and 850s look okay to me, though).  Destroys TN, though.  Looks like a special storm for Franklin, as modeled.  No I-95 runner, though, but he doesn't need it! ;)

More GEFS talk... (sorry)... block over the top swings the PV down south of Hudson bay. Pretty impressive anomalies for a mean this far out. Would be nice to cash in during this time, for the first time this year this could be a hint at somewhat sustained blocking or at least a pattern cold enough to produce all snow over the area. Consider myself interested.

Fm9imHB.png

More GEFS talk... (sorry)... block over the top swings the PV down south of Hudson bay. Pretty impressive anomalies for a mean this far out. Would be nice to cash in during this time, for the first time this year this could be a hint at somewhat sustained blocking or at least a pattern cold enough to produce all snow over the area. Consider myself interested.

You must not have been watching the last several runs of the Euro, EPS, Euro para.  All of them keep the PV locked up too far to the north. I will be skeptical until some of them come on board.

You must not have been watching the last several runs of the Euro, EPS, Euro para.  All of them keep the PV locked up too far to the north. I will be skeptical until some of them come on board.

I watch the Euro and EPS, so yes I have been watching. Saying "i'm interested" doesn't mean I'm all in. The models are having a hard time with the block and PV, where it goes, what the west looks like, etc. Just nothing what the GFS/GEFS shows. It's not a bad look even if it's the GFS, it's an ensemble. It can't be ignored because the EPS doesn't show it. BOTH the GFS and Euro suck Day 10. Euro has a score around 0.6 if I remember correctly for verification at Day 10.

Edit: GFS para is actually better at Day 10 w/ PNA...

Who has the better verificaiton score for February might surprise you. Hint: it's not the Euro.

ZPlNOjE.png

You can't draw a snowstorm up much better than that for our area. Starts as overrunning over an artic boundary and turns into miller a taking deep south track. High in great spot for caa throughout event. Still a long way out, but gfs as been very consistent with overrunning event.

Becoming slightly interested in days 7-10, that GEFS graphic Jon posted above does not look bad by any stretch and matches up with the op Euro for the period. The Euro does have a pos tilt shortwave in the middle MS River Valley day 7, something to watch as it should be cold enough. After that, there is some support on the GFS individual mems for a more widespread p-type event between day 8 and 10.

12z GFS is coming in like a wrecking ball for NC...overrunning event and low is now one system. Impressive cold too. Can't hate the model for run-to-run consistency.

Wasn't there two GFS op runs in a row that showed a mega bomb storm about this time, the one with 4" of sleet for CAE? Then dropped it the 3rd run!? A few days back? Maybe it's back?

Wasn't there two GFS op runs in a row that showed a mega bomb storm about this time, the one with 4" of sleet for CAE? Then dropped it the 3rd run!? A few days back? Maybe it's back?

Yes the 12z and 18z on 2/18 showed back to back crush jobs in the SE early March. I believe around 2/3-5...was day 15 fantasy now day 10

Archived