• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

Grasping at straws. Too far out right now. Will trend to rain like always.

Would love to hear your sound reasoning as to why this " will trend to rain like always"

This is probably the best setup we've had this season . MJO headed to phase 8, positive PNA , -AO , -NAO active southern jet . It's hardly " grasping at straws"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grasping at straws. Too far out right now. Will trend to rain like always.

No, this is not grasping at straws...... There is however, a lot of time left before verification. Now, it would really surprise me if this were to trend north and leave us holding the bag....... I am basing my reasoning off the indices. They look really good for the time-frame in question, and even if there was no storm being currently modeled, I would still like our chances. My concern is more about suppression than the "north-trend" at this point.

No, this is not grasping at straws...... There is however, a lot of time left before verification. Now, it would really surprise me if this were to trend north and leave us holding the bag....... I am basing my reasoning off the indices. They look really good for the time-frame in question, and even if there was no storm being currently modeled, I would still like our chances. My concern is more about suppression than the "north-trend" at this point.

Suppression is the last thing I'm ever concerned about 7 days out.

That said (with franklin's above comments noted), I agree with you that things may be different this time, given the higher likelihood of late winter -NAO probabilities in Nino years and given the strong blocking showing on models. Plus, it looks like there will be some really cold air nearby, which hasn't always been the case this winter.

Would love to hear your sound reasoning as to why this " will trend to rain like always"

This is probably the best setup we've had this season . MJO headed to phase 8, positive PNA , -AO , -NAO active southern jet . It's hardly " grasping at straws"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the overall pattern looks great but once again like always it's over one week away. If a system is there that shows great possibility within five days then it is time to start honking the horn. Until then it's just smoke and mirrors.

suppression and cold would be a god-send down here

but hey - who am i to wish for mby?

Those mean, mean Carolina folks only want what looks good for them, lol.  You and I have to fight tooth and claw for every pellet, and flake :)  But it's coming, the moles have spoken...sleetapaloosa is nearly upon us!  Already the low is trying to move out of Ga, and the cold is trying to come down.  Wheels are turning, pieces clicking into place, winter is far from over....what's not to like? This could be the year of fabled frozen March.....comes in like a lion and goes out like a bewildered beast :) T

Yep, pretty much what the last page of posts just said.

Great analysis! Just hope the vortex is as far south as being modeled and actual -NAO materializes! Wish we could have had this potential set up , about 4 weeks ago! I'm concerned about cold being there! If we get zilch, because of supression, I'll call it a win!

By the way - 12z Euro caved to GFS at 500mb. Sends PV south of Hudson. That block is serious.

dc3150bf551ca35a6333c522e79cffc9.jpg

If the GFS/EURO are even remotely correct at 500mb, the SE will be looking at its best chance of a widespread hit in several years. There hasn't been that kind of blocking in a long time during the winter months.

Suppression is the last thing I'm ever concerned about 7 days out.

That said (with franklin's above comments noted), I agree with you that things may be different this time, given the higher likelihood of late winter -NAO probabilities in Nino years and given the strong blocking showing on models. Plus, it looks like there will be some really cold air nearby, which hasn't always been the case this winter.

I see suppression on the GFS 18z run..... nothing is a guarantee at this point. That was the potential issue I saw with the earlier runs.

Robert says he never looks at or uses the 18z or 6z GFS , unless it's within 3 days or less from the event.

Smart man. Read my signature from isohume for verification of this. Anybody who looks at weather models more than a few days out is probably gonna be disappointed due to the big changes of them from run to run. It will go from a blizzard to 70 and sunny in 12 hours.

Smart man. Read my signature from isohume for verification of this. Anybody who looks at weather models more than a few days out is probably gonna be disappointed due to the big changes of them from run to run. It will go from a blizzard to 70 and sunny in 12 hours.

He specifically said 18z and 6z GFS ! I know we always discuss the off hour runs and say throw them out, but everybody says they are all the same, there must be a reason he doesn't use the off hour ones?

Archived