joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the GFS and it's ensembles kinda keep the low track inland.  EURO and it's ensembles keep the track off the coast.  I think the CMC ensembles keep the track off the coast as well (CMC op, don't care). Anybody got the UKMET?  It seems like the UKMET had the right idea for the last event early and the EURO went to it. 

Seems like the GFS and it's ensembles kinda keep the low track inland.  EURO and it's ensembles keep the track off the coast.  I think the CMC ensembles keep the track off the coast as well (CMC op, don't care). Anybody got the UKMET?  It seems like the UKMET had the right idea for the last event early and the EURO went to it. 

FWIW, the ukmet was way too far north and west 144hrs out from our last storm. It was dropping the pacific energy too far south and west which lead to bomb solutions going west of the apps.  Hopefully it's doing the same thing here, but as it stands now the GFS,CMC, and ukmet all agree on sending  a strong surface low towards the apps.

I think people in Alabama, NW GA, Eastern TN, the mountains, and along a general line like that have a decent chance at seeing something...I don't know...I just think based on climatology and the way the upper level looks, it'll track inland so anyone on the western/NW flank of the storm will get a good snowstorm. The Wxbell snowmap from last night on the Euro is a good idea of what we might see. Obviously, it can change, but if I was in the areas just to the west of the apps, I'd watch a little more carefully.

So close. So very close. Anyone think it will start trending south. The low and the hp?

Our two " winter" storms , trended South from 7 days out and if not, they trended alot colder as we got closer! As for TN and AL, they looked to be in play the last storm, but were out of the game by 2/3 days before the storm! And the only thing that saved the Carolinas , was the wedge!

Let the Euro show a bomb in the same place as last night, there will be a quick page or two of - Euro goes boom! Crush job ! Etc

As an avid fan of the ukie, imo from past expierence it's wheelhouse is 72 on in. I've always giving 90+ % of anything 120 and out to euro ens. The other 10% I use to see how much they suport or disagree with euro.

Pretty much all these tracks from apps to piedmont runner to off coast match up with euro ens, but the para and euro ens are heavily more focused to off the coast suppressed look than weighted toward the other op tracks. This gets said repeatedly the ops are fun to look at past 120 but you have to dig into ens to get a feel of credibility in op solutions. One overwhelming signal I see is a storm is definetly looking like it's on the way. Now get the track nailed or zeroed down, then you can try to figure out 850s and surface temps, precip types.

Archived