• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

Curious if anyone is keeping tabs on Winchester, VA.. My buddy says he's got 40 inches, maybe pushing 50.. Curious if anyone has seen similar reports.  I gotta double check, some official reports, but he's gotten buried up there and the most he's seen living out there..

Man, what a day for folks down this way.  Yeh, looks like things are starting to wrap up.. Watching the bands to begin to diminish. Eh, its like that party you had so much fun and then its over. Yep, all the past nights wrestling what the models are showing, what can go wrong and the emotions of oh man, what 30 inches or wait, 15 inches.. What a southern shift or you have to fight with a track too far north..

Anyway, wouldn't mind if we had Boston got last year. Hey, how about we have 3 more of these events.. Yeh, I know thats probably a long shot, but hey you never know.

Well, this pattern breaks down some and we moderate. What does February have waiting for us.. Well, time will tell..

Time to look ahead some great football tomorrow.. Will the Patriots go back to the Super Bowl.. I think its going to be the Pats and the Panthers.  Well, we'll see..

I am reporting 38 but I might have more than that. Definitely not 50 inches though.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report from the SnowHole 10 mi S of DC about 5:45: 16"-18" on multiple measurements on my flat driveway, away from the cars and using my super-scientific wooden yardstick with painted 1/8" gradations.  I've lived here 40 years and 18", my previous record, still stands.  Still snowing though so there is hope!

Curious if anyone is keeping tabs on Winchester, VA.. My buddy says he's got 40 inches, maybe pushing 50.. Curious if anyone has seen similar reports. I gotta double check, some official reports, but he's gotten buried up there and the most he's seen living out there..

Man, what a day for folks down this way. Yeh, looks like things are starting to wrap up.. Watching the bands to begin to diminish. Eh, its like that party you had so much fun and then its over. Yep, all the past nights wrestling what the models are showing, what can go wrong and the emotions of oh man, what 30 inches or wait, 15 inches.. What a southern shift or you have to fight with a track too far north..

Anyway, wouldn't mind if we had Boston got last year. Hey, how about we have 3 more of these events.. Yeh, I know thats probably a long shot, but hey you never know.

Well, this pattern breaks down some and we moderate. What does February have waiting for us.. Well, time will tell..

Time to look ahead some great football tomorrow.. Will the Patriots go back to the Super Bowl.. I think its going to be the Pats and the Panthers. Well, we'll see..

My last total was 39.25" north of Winchester.

Tried to measure just now....couldn't get anything accurate. 34" sounds about right! Most snow I've ever seen... Beats '96 when I lived in NW Jersey!!

Thanks for measuring all day! I don't have a good spot to measure, so it's been nice to see your reports from just up the road.

I was out shoveling from 11:00 - 2:00 and by the time I finished, the first strip that I'd shoveled had another five inches on top. Crazy.

Curious if anyone is keeping tabs on Winchester, VA.. My buddy says he's got 40 inches, maybe pushing 50.. Curious if anyone has seen similar reports.  I gotta double check, some official reports, but he's gotten buried up there and the most he's seen living out there..

Man, what a day for folks down this way.  Yeh, looks like things are starting to wrap up.. Watching the bands to begin to diminish. Eh, its like that party you had so much fun and then its over. Yep, all the past nights wrestling what the models are showing, what can go wrong and the emotions of oh man, what 30 inches or wait, 15 inches.. What a southern shift or you have to fight with a track too far north..

Time to look ahead some great football tomorrow.. Will the Patriots go back to the Super Bowl.. I think its going to be the Pats and the Panthers.  Well, we'll see..

Try this. http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc2.html

I can't believe in all those model runs that showed it snowing for 30-40 hours that it's actually going to get close to that duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the Mets laughing at the GFS in the radio show the other night. The outrageous snow totals it spit out are going to verify. It's incredible really.

I can't believe in all those model runs that showed it snowing for 30-40 hours that it's actually going to get close to that duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe the models busted a little low here when they were already showing insane totals. I think the Euro showed a total close to what we got on one of its ping pong runs but most I think showed in the 24-30 range.

Ok.  Latest snow total is 24.5"

At 5pm I went back out and took more measurements in previously cleared areas that were uniformly even and away from obvious drifting.  The most common depth was 6" with a range of 5-7"  I had a few 8+ and 4s but these seemed suspect.  

So from 9am until 5pm my snow total is 6"

That gives me a storm total of 24.5 so far with snow still falling.  I doubt I get more than 1" on top of that and will almost be impossible to tell with the wind

This one has been tough to get good snow totals for with a high confidence.  I'm just thrilled to get to 2 feet.  Great storm.  The afternoon stuff today was just fantastic and bailed me out of what would have been a failure

Tried to measure just now....couldn't get anything accurate. 34" sounds about right! Most snow I've ever seen... Beats '96 when I lived in NW Jersey!!

The wind and the drifting has made measuring nearly impossible. Now that nightfall has arrived and the street lights have come on, it's pretty wild to see how the wind has completely reshaped the landscape via drifts. I could gawk at the scenery all night.

Thanks for measuring all day, btw. I was following your posts too, since I'm just down the road near the Brambleton town center.

Definitely. When you have the best storm of your life. You have had a great winter. I dont care what anyone says.

I was getting down earlier when we lulled for hours on end - I didn't think we'd get close to Feb 5-6. After we finally got banded, we're now neck and neck, and my next measurement (in about 90 minutes) may just put this one over the edge.

Thing is, this one has had the wind (for hours on end), which makes this my GOAT, without a doubt!

Archived