Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought they were at 18 inches at 5pm?

I understand what you're saying.  If the METAR at 5 pm indicates they have 18 inches and then two hours later they report a total of 18 inches, that would imply between 5 pm and 7 pm there was no snowfall at DCA.  But we know it's been snowing during those two hours.

Just heard that Frederick Co is pulling all their plow drivers off the roads due to icy conditions. The plows will be stationed overnight at local fire stations and will go out first thing tomorrow morning. They are saying that most neighborhoods will not get touched until Monday. Now I understand the reasoning behind FCPS calling Monday off early. They probably were told that neighborhoods would not be ready for busses.

I understand what you're saying. If the METAR at 5 pm indicates they have 18 inches and then two hours later they report a total of 18 inches, that would imply between 5 pm and 7 pm there was no snowfall at DCA. But we know it's been snowing during those two hours.

Exactly.

Going on the 32nd hour straight of snow, no breaks at all. I've given up trying to measure but I'm probably conservative when I say 33+". Up against the east side of the Blue ridge and when winds come from the East, it just dumps and dumps.

I'm actually a little worried if we get too much more. My snow thrower piles on the sides of the driveway are already 5+ feet. Not much place else to put the snow.

DCA is a joke. There's no way they are that much lower than every other report in south Arlington and Alexandria.

15 inches at 1pm at DCA. They were in heavy snow the rest of the aftn. Interested to see what they actually post. Also, they're in a band of snow now that will be lost since it's after the 7pm observation.

For probably the last time, I have moderate SN falling at the moment. But looks like a few more hours of snow.

I measured 24 inches in multiple spots at 7pm but because of the winds over the past few hours, can't be 100% accurate. A few others measured 21/22 inches in my area, so probably closer to that. Either way, had at least 3/4 inches fall over the past few hours in these stronger bands of snow. Great finish.

There's something very strange going on there...NWS needs to investigate

The story of what had to be done to get the temperature recalibration is intricate and incredible

When people become entrenched in their position their defiance is strong and their inability to adapt and adopt to just plain common sense procedures is hard to understand.

Archived