joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a rough measuring day. I had around 23" or so around 1pm. Local coops had the same. I've had at least 7 since then. Sticking with 30 unless it's an outlier with the morning reports. I don't think it will be

Bob, I ended up  with around 15".  Probablyhad 10.5 or so prior to that.   Got a good 5 inch plus with the last gasp banding,  still snowing a bit but with the moon dimly visible I'm done measuring.  The highlight of my day was seeing all the guys here with huge amounts, viewing some pictures and having such an easy time removing the snow with the snowblower.  Plus overall, the forecasts were pretty good.   

Kudos to CWG and others who care enough about science and history and have been trying for awhile to intelligently challenge the temperature and snowfall record keeping practices at DCA.  

My yardstick is registering +/- 30" here in Wesley Hts. 

Factoring a combination of my poor measuring skills, a few miles, and a few hundred feet of elevation, I would bet down on 24th and M they've got ~2 feet.  So, I think it is fair to say DC has topped #2 1899 and rivaled, but not surpassed, Knickerbocker with this one.

And in all likelihood, DCA has/or should have recorded it's highest single storm total since the transfer in 1950.

I had a rough measuring day. I had around 23" or so around 1pm. Local coops had the same. I've had at least 7 since then. Sticking with 30 unless it's an outlier with the morning reports. I don't think it will be

Sounds pretty reasonable, Bob. You're up the road from where I am and from past snow event reports Rockville has always been a little higher than what I've gotten a bit farther down here in the more southern part of MoCo. I put down 24" for me, so your 30" estimate is surely in the ballpark going by that reasoning.

Kudos to CWG and others who care enough about science and history and have been trying for awhile to intelligently challenge the temperature and snowfall record keeping practices at DCA.

Factoring a combination of my poor measuring skills, a few miles, and a few hundred feet of elevation, I would bet down on 24th and M they've got ~2 feet. So, I think it is fair to say DC has topped #2 1899 and rivaled, but not surpassed, Knickerbocker with this one.

And in all likelihood, DCA has/or should have recorded it's highest single storm total since the transfer in 1950.

DCA has measurement problems, but even if it didn't, it wouldn't be a good representation of the city as a whole. It's a strange microclimate. An official station needs to be inside of the district.

Bob, I ended up with around 15". Probablyhad 10.5 or so prior to that. Got a good 5 inch plus with the last gasp banding, still snowing a bit but with the moon dimly visible I'm done measuring. The highlight of my day was seeing all the guys here with huge amounts, viewing some pictures and having such an easy time removing the snow with the snowblower. Plus overall, the forecasts were pretty good.

My best friend lives in ches beach. He texted me last night and said ice cube and icy rain frosting his snow. I knew you were prob mixing. The dryslot was unfair. I was at the extreme edge of precip at times but thankfully never lulled. That probably scored me an extra 3-5 over some close eastern neighbors.

I just checked the spotter info. Norbeck was 28.6 at 630 and that is 5 miles to my east. More has fallen since. I broke my yard record.

Factoring a combination of my poor measuring skills, a few miles, and a few hundred feet of elevation, I would bet down on 24th and M they've got ~2 feet.  So, I think it is fair to say DC has topped #2 1899 and rivaled, but not surpassed, Knickerbocker with this one.

I disagree. I think 2/5-6/10 pretty clearly beat this storm in most of the city proper. 2/5-6/10 had a lot of 24"+ reports from inside the city with the Tenleytown area reporting 27"+. 

Shoukld we go with 26.5 or just round it to 27? Is rounding it justified?

Just came in. Since then .4 fell that I could justify (it snowed a lot harder for just .04, but Im tired) so, yes 27. that seems to be a good number. A spotter in Dale City had 25.3 at 6:30. Leesburg in Nokesville has about 30. So it's right there in the ballpark.

I'm not even 5 miles from them and while I have over 30, I don't think I'm close to 3 feet.

5 miles can be big when you're talking 3" per hour rates in some of those heavy bands. But as I said I wouldn't know. I just happened to notice that location when I was looking at radar and thinking wow they are getting hammered.

Archived