joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going with 31" in Berkeley heights nj measured all day wiping the board every 90 mins or so. From 2-5 I saw the heaviest snow I ever saw. We took the dog on a hour walk through the woods during the height of it. Right along 78 it was just amazing getting in one band after another just training over this area. For me 96, bdb, and now 16 three try amazing blizzards. Will never forget today

Should not wipe the snowboard every 90 minutes

It was a tough forecast in out area, and I went too conservative. The NAM model burned me bad last year. I had a feeling it would end up north of the other models and it did only wished I went for more. It was a great storm to watch, most likely one of the best I ever saw. Maybe the Lindsey storm was better for me when I lived in Oceanside, LI. When I was 14 back then. The the snow drifts went up to my second floor bedroom. At my house there was bare ground and 15 foot snow drifts. It was also the storm the peaked my interest in meteorology. BTW Cobble Hill's snowfall measurement was impossible to do. There was blowing, drifting, people walking all over and the snow plows.

Many thanks to you, and all METS for sharing thoughts with all of us in here.

Have to hand it to the American Suite, namely the North American in picking up the NYC ban hammer inside 72hrs.  While the Euro was short stroking central VA, the NAM lead the way with the GFS right behind, these big dogs always come NW inside of 48.  Understand the cutoff was sharp, here too.  30 miles to our north there is 40".  But this is big time,  regions wide, enjoy gents, jeb walks are for real. 

I've always enjoyed weather, but I've never formally studied it and honestly 70% of what's posted here is gibberish to me...

But the passion you all show here has made following this storm's development a freakin joy. From the beginning of the week when the hype was growing to the middle when doubts crept in that we'd get anything major up here to Thursday/Friday when the NAM was making its then ridiculed and now vindicated predictions...

I showed this forum to my friend and he said exactly what I've been thinking after lurking here for a year or two...... "There are worlds and communities out there that I've never even known existed".

I believe I speak for the no doubt thousands of lurkers that have been following this forum when I say thank you for all your insightful real time analysis and passion for weather that made this storm - the lead up and the storm itself - one I will remember for a very long time.

I've always enjoyed weather, but I've never formally studied it and honestly 70% of what's posted here is gibberish to me...

But the passion you all show here has made following this storm's development a freakin joy. From the beginning of the week when the hype was growing to the middle when doubts crept in that we'd get anything major up here to Thursday/Friday when the NAM was making its then ridiculed and now vindicated predictions...

I showed this forum to my friend and he said exactly what I've been thinking after lurking here for a year or two...... "There are worlds and communities out there that I've never even known existed".

I believe I speak for the no doubt thousands of lurkers that have been following this forum when I say thank you for all your insightful real time analysis and passion for weather that made this storm - the lead up and the storm itself - one I will remember for a very long time.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I found this forum during Sandy.  I've learned a lot from these guys since then, especially regarding weather models.  This is a rare major win, if not the first, for the NAM.

For my final Flemington OBS: 

Stopped snowing completely about an hour ago.  It was like shutting a spigot off.  It went from light-moderate snowing to the moon being out in 10 minutes.

Measurements are impossible without a long walk to a field and I don't have footwear to carry that out ):

I'd estimate 25"-30".

love this. Congrats NYC area peeps. Just wow.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself.  As someone who loves weather but doesn't get more than half of the stuff you guys say, this whole week on here has been amazing.  I must've checked these forums hundreds of times this past week. The ups (NAM) and downs (euro) of each run was, as weird as it might sound, really something special and fun.  

Every contributor to the discussion on this forum is awesome, and from us people who just kind of follow along, thank you.  

great first post

congrats!

'Only' 18.5 inches of snow here in the Morganville section of Marlboro Twp. Monmouth County. Like PB GFI said we had a slight dry slot here for a bit which kept our totals down. Still snowing here though so may add another inch? Enjoy the snow everyone! Sledding for us tomorrow at either Holmdel Park or Monmouth Battlefield St.Park.

post-2166-0-40982200-1453608696_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-40471700-1453608716_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-80074000-1453608743_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-77909100-1453608783_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-09451700-1453608799_thumb.jp

Archived