joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One massive difference between the 00Z RGEM and 18Z RGEM is the SLP. It's stronger and more tucked in through HR 36 on the 00Z RGEM. The 18Z had a weaker SLP and less tucked in on the same timestamp.

The RGEM sucks at 06 and 18z I always only use its 12 and 00 runs. The RGEM isn't terribly different than the euro in NYC itself but i think it screws places like TTN and the Philly vicinity more than the UKIE or Euro

18z rgem

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's clearly north - not by a lot, but by 25-50mi. But since we're on the fringe every 25mi is a few tenths of extra precipitation. I'm not focused on its precipitation depiction because that's what models are worst at. Give us a low in the right spot and the rest will take care of itself.

No go on the GFS. Very similar to 18z

TBF, this means the 18z wasn't a blip. The question isn't whether we get NAMed, it's whether we're on the good side of the death-gradient. Every run that puts us on the good side increases the chances of heavy snow.

As to whether we get 1' or 2'... Man given where we started from 1' will feel like 2'.

Edit - and just like that, the next frame puts us on the wrong side of the death-gradient. Nuts. This is the risk...

Archived