joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might well be right. We're still about 54-60 hours from the onset of the event here, so I think there's some basis for caution. If tomorrow's 12z runs and subsequent runs continue to show the same solution, especially if the other guidance moves into closer agreement, that would be a pretty strong argument for a bigger event. That the 18z GFS had a nice increase in QPF and the more stable components of the SREFS also showed an increase in QPF is encouraging.

Don - think you have a typo - we're 30-36 hours from the time the model started running (7 pm) until precip starts hitting around here, maybe 1-7 am on Saturday.  I thought the NAM was supposed to be better inside 36 hours. 

Another question: don't all the 0Z and 12Z models, including the Euro, ingest the same t=0 initialization data at 0Z and 12Z, even if their outputs might come out a few hours off from each other?  

Don - think you have a typo - we're 30-36 hours from the time the model started running (7 pm) until precip starts hitting around here, maybe 1-7 am on Saturday.  I thought the NAM was supposed to be better inside 36 hours. 

Another question: don't all the 0Z and 12Z models, including the Euro, ingest the same t=0 initialization data at 0Z and 12Z, even if their outputs might come out a few hours off from each other?  

Yes. I just removed that part. We're closer to the NAM's better timeframe. I regret the error.

00z NAM is encouraging with h5 low movement and depiction, more NE movement,  very favorable for the region.   Also slower with the kicker in C Canada just north of North Dakota than GFS.    And with the increased ridging in front all this helps.    Lets see if its real now......

Archived