• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

GFS and RGEM tell me the NAM is on crack, and the 2/6/10 repeat scenario is still very much on the table. Tonight would have been the night to see a move north. I guess tomorrow 12z gives another shot, but time's really running out. The NAM could easily collapse at 6z or 12z, it's done that before. Look at the massively amped runs it had for Juno last year for an example. 

Convective feedback problems may have been an issue for one or two cycles, but models repeatedly and consistently jumping the low east and out to sea means there's something to that idea. 

I guess I'll wait for the Euro later, but 4-8" for NYC seems like the best bet here. 4" in the Bronx, 8" in Staten Island. If the GFS shifts south again, that may be generous. 

Honestly, I don't think we'll know for sure until around this time tomorrow night. 20 miles in either direction makes such a huge difference.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gradient is so tight that it can go either way

It can, but it's becoming hard to ignore at this point that outside of the unreliable NAM and the 18z GFS today, significant precip can't really make it north of I-80, or the Bronx/LI Sound. The 6z and 12z runs tomorrow are the last chance to see any real movements, and I'd say at this point we're working with 50 miles of wiggle room either way. 

Verbatim, this would still be a nice storm at home in Long Beach with maybe 10" there on this GFS run, while the North Shore has 4 or 5" and the CT coast nothing. I do buy the very sharp gradient idea. 

Well something has to give and it's likely not going to be tonight. The only model that gives anyone North of say Rt 80 significant snow is the NAM and we all know what that means.

Not staying up for the Euro. If I happen to wake up overnight i'll report, but I would be absolutely shocked if it came North more than a tick.

Well something has to give and it's likely not going to be tonight. The only model that gives anyone North of say Rt 80 significant snow is the NAM and we all know what that means.

Not staying up for the Euro. If I happen to wake up overnight i'll report, but I would be absolutely shocked if it came North more than a tick.

Agreed, as they said on the radio show, the "varsity" team has somewhat of a consensus.  Tomorrow brings another day.

It can, but it's becoming hard to ignore at this point that outside of the unreliable NAM and the 18z GFS today, significant precip can't really make it north of I-80, or the Bronx/LI Sound. The 6z and 12z runs tomorrow are the last chance to see any real movements, and I'd say at this point we're working with 50 miles of wiggle room either way.

Verbatim, this would still be a nice storm at home in Long Beach with maybe 10" there on this GFS run, while the North Shore has 4 or 5" and the CT coast nothing. I do buy the very sharp gradient idea.

The only all snow event i know of with a gradient like that over NYC was the 79 PD event I think JFK had 7 and lga 2

A 25 mile south shift on the GFS basically means 2/6/10 again, and that's about how far south 0z shifted from 18z, so that's possible. Sounds like the GGEM went south also. Not good news for the NYC area. The Euro I'd expect would stay about as is-at 12z, 6" of snow basically reached the south shore of Long Island. If it ticks south, I'd go with an advisory storm for NYC. The NAM being on its own like this is essentially meaningless to me. 

The only all snow event i know of with a gradient like that over NYC was the 79 PD event I think JFK had 7 and lga 2

JM's dead on re Feb 2010. 7-8 in central NJ, 2 feet in PHL.   This looks just like that, as modeled.  But as with all things in history, probably more rhyme than copy.  The gradient seems real, where it sets up exactly is the question.

Hmm, I thought Central Park had a foot from that? Anyway, what a mess for NYC forecasters tonight. God help them. It just seems like big NYC snow events aren't "done deals" like they can be days in advance in Boston or DC. DC has been pegged to get nailed for the past 3-4 days, and Juno as well as Nemo were pegged to nail Boston for several days prior. NYC seems to be on the cliff's edge one way or another in these. 

GFS is around 7-10 for us and 10+ for my aunt in Staten Island. This is exactly like 2010 to a tee.

People say SI had 7 inches but I don't believe it: I am right across from the Outerbridge and we had about 3-4. At this point the NAM is on its own and is obviously wrong. And no one believes the SREFS. And now the storm is trending south. The writing is on the wall. Expect Euro to go south as well.

People say SI had 7 inches but I don't believe it: I am right across from the Outerbridge and we had about 3-4. At this point the NAM is on its own and is obviously wrong. And no one believes the SREFS. And now the storm is trending south. The writing is on the wall. Expect Euro to go south as well.

Writing on the wall with the gradient so tight? No way.

Hmm, I thought Central Park had a foot from that? Anyway, what a mess for NYC forecasters tonight. God help them. It just seems like big NYC snow events aren't "done deals" like they can be days in advance in Boston or DC. DC has been pegged to get nailed for the past 3-4 days, and Juno as well as Nemo were pegged to nail Boston for several days prior. NYC seems to be on the cliff's edge one way or another in these. 

Yea I posted about that earlier.  Usually a nightmare forecast during big storms here as always in the middle between DC and SNE specials.  

Archived