joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is way harder than 2010. This is like trying to forecast for the Brunswick Cranbury Trenton corridor in the 2010 storm, you knew they weren't getting shutout but at the same time there was risk in only going 3-4 inches because 10-15 was easily possible

Seeing the UKMET just now nudge a bit north is encouraging, hopefully the Euro does the same soon. Yeah, I would be massively migrained out if I had to make a forecast for this in NYC. 

Honestly, the gradient is so tight that NYC can get 5" or 20". The radar looks amazing. Anybody who thinks that the storm is over is insane considering that a 20 mile shift can make all the difference.

There's definitely a lot of convection over the Gulf Coast, and hopefully that helps. There were some storms near me early this morning when the ULL dug through, but the real activity fired over E TX and LA. 

Think my post on the 2/6 post mortem got deleted, probably for being too long.  Here's the summary, since quite a few people were trying to recall how steep the gradient was.  Don't think this one will be that steep, but it could come close.

Simply moving down I-95, here's the progression of snowfall: 0.0" in Central Park, 1/2" in Newark, 1" in Elizabeth, 4" in Rahway, 6" in Metuchen, 8" in New Brunswick, 13" in Trenton, 19" in Mount Holly, 28" in Philly and 30" in Baltimore.  Unprecedented, especially the 0-28" over the ~90 miles from NYC to Philly.  

How many times it sleeted for hours on end killing totals because the low wrapped up all that above normal warm water seen it to many times .The marine layer can be friend or foe and that is my take. i'm probably wrong but you never know.Sometimes even if the precip field works out it never goes accordingly this why mother nature is so humbling.

Archived