• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Cat Lady
    Newest Member
    Cat Lady
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Just came in from the first snow blower run. Measured 6.75" - 7.0" in various spots. Snowing hard here. Wind picking up. By the time I had finished clearing the drive, another 1/5th an inch had built up on the asphalt.

We seem to be in the same bands and rates...good stuff

Just 2.3" - only .3 last hour - just really awful snow growth so far - Roland park area balt city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar in Pikesville. 2.5" or so.

Edit: started to pick up in last 20 minutes or so, though

(Great) Blizzard of 2016 Observations

1:30pm--0.0", -SN

2:30pm--0.1", -SN (close to SN, dusting on secondary roads)

3:30pm--0.7", SN (light wind, secondary roads covered, main roads with slushy accumulation)

4:30pm--1.3", SN (same as last update, but with main roads covered now)

5:30pm--1.9", SN (closing in on +SN with dropping visibility, first notable wind gusts appearing)

6:30pm--2.3", SN (everything covered heavily, minor gusts)

7:30pm--3.5", SN (suspect hour, looks like drifting has begun, used multiple neighborhood measurements)

8:30pm--4.3", SN (prior hour ob confirmed, breezy)

I know I'm lurking from up in NH.  Technically you are suppose to clear your measuring board (or if your doing multiple locations) every 6 hours. If you just keep measuring the same place every hour the totals are a bit less cause the weight of the new snow suppresses the snow below.  You could do both to compare.

Enjoy!

Coastal just went NSFW on us. 

Visibility just dropped - A hell of a lot. Heavy snow is being actively whipped by 28 mph gusts out of the NNE. 

I have been keeping a log of how much snow per hour has fallen back when drifting was not yet a problem

From those logs, plus careful observation of visibility conditions and certain corroborative data points derived from at least forty points in my yard that have known heights, it is obvious that we are piling up a ridiculous amount of snow in Dale City.

This blizzard is going to utterly destroy this entire region.

This isn't the best location to measure snow accumulation (probably would be better if I would just walk 2 blocks to Dupont Circle), but in the alley behind my apartment building I measured 3.5 about 20 minutes ago.

Similar in Pikesville. 2.5" or so.

Edit: started to pick up in last 20 minutes or so, though

Thanks - was wondering if I was losing my mind - glad to see obs are similar. Hope it is coming in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming down in buckets here at my house in NW Spotsylvania, wind is starting to come in too.

Hey neighbor. You will have to keep me updated on how the area is doing. Even though I am not in the state of VA currently, I still enjoy all of the nowcasting, obs and reports.

12:50 - Flurries begin

2:00 - .2

3:00- .5"

4:00 - 1.2"

5:00 - 2.1"

6:00 - 3"

7:00 -3.2"

8PM(ish) - 4.1"

9:00 – 4.7”

DC about to be demolished.

Would love to know how your measurements look, the wind is making me nervous about mine. 

Still 99% snow in Spotsylvania and on the CC loop from LWX looks like the "Sleet Line" is moving back to the South, Hopefully we can catch some of the banding y'all are going to get into overnight

6.1 inches and Heavy Snow with a few pingers and 25

Visibility just dropped - A hell of a lot. Heavy snow is being actively whipped by 28 mph gusts out of the NNE. 

I have been keeping a log of how much snow per hour has fallen back when drifting was not yet a problem

From those logs, plus careful observation of visibility conditions and certain corroborative data points derived from at least forty points in my yard that have known heights, it is obvious that we are piling up a ridiculous amount of snow in Dale City.

This blizzard is going to utterly destroy this entire region.

LMAO! There is only one Jebman

19 up here in Cleveland park. Hanging with Randy. Probably 4-5". Feeling really good about this one so far and moving forward

I have to say, the rates have been very consistent for me so far. I'm liking this so far. Over 4" before 9.