SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting heaving sideways snow in Annapolis. Still no accumulation - it's so dry it is all blowing off. And I mean all. This is going to be great accumulations for those a few hundred feet further inland :)

Wind 25mph from the NE.

Temperature down to 24.9F, DP at 23.7F.

Pressure has fallen to 1014.6mb, down 4.7mb in 3 hours.

I know I'm lurking from up in NH.  Technically you are suppose to clear your measuring board (or if your doing multiple locations) every 6 hours. If you just keep measuring the same place every hour the totals are a bit less cause the weight of the new snow suppresses the snow below.  You could do both to compare.

Enjoy!

For it be considered an official "climatic" snowfall observation for historical records, you can't sum up more than 4 snowfall measurements within a 24 hour period, or once per 6 hours.  You can certainly report hourly accums, but official totals should be kept to summing up 6 hr amounts to account for settling. Summing up hourly amounts will lead to inflated numbers which will not be accepted by NWS as an official snowfall climate observation.  This happened in Montague NY in 1997, when a lake effect storm of 77" was not officially accepted as a national record because the observer summed up 6 separate snowfall measurements within 24 hrs. So clear your snowboard no more than once per 6 hrs.

Happy measuring!

Archived