Newest Member
    amirah5
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, what in the HOLY F*CK.

Models ALL agree on a massive storm for literally 3 consecutive days... but then we get toyed with... brutalized... days and sleepless nights of north ticks, south ticks, looks like 96, capture, recapture, escape, Fujiwara, confluence to the north, less confluence to the north, "This run's gonna deliver", flattening ridge... 

Then the NAM and the SREFS come and inject hope into a dying patient and suddenly we're revitalized, energized, ready to sprint out the hospital... but of course we know... deep down, we know... that it's just the steroids talking and this truly is terminal.

The GooFy nurse comes in and delivers the bad news... there's some Canadian attendant nodding in agreement... a certain Dr. No is standing outside the doorway ready to seal our fate.

And how is this thing 36 hours out FFS? I feel like I've been tracking this debacle for a month.

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious.  Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

:lmao:

I think we need to change the thread title to "support group". Heartbroken by ice particles falling (or not falling) from the sky. 

Models ALL agree on a massive storm for literally 3 consecutive days... but then we get toyed with... brutalized... days and sleepless nights of north ticks, south ticks, looks like 96, capture, recapture, escape, Fujiwara, confluence to the north, less confluence to the north, "This run's gonna deliver", flattening ridge... 

Then the NAM and the SREFS come and inject hope into a dying patient and suddenly we're revitalized, energized, ready to sprint out the hospital... but of course we know... deep down, we know... that it's just the steroids talking and this truly is terminal.

The GooFy nurse comes in and delivers the bad news... there's some Canadian attendant nodding in agreement... a certain Dr. No is standing outside the doorway ready to seal our fate.

And how is this thing 36 hours out FFS? I feel like I've been tracking this debacle for a month.

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious.  Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

Glad i read that before hitting the sack...  one for the record books!

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious. Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

Classic post. One of the best

And that's exactly what I did feb 2010; I packed the kids in the 4x4 and drove down to the Camden Aquarium from Colonia; it was open and we had the run of the joint no one else was around; we took lots of photos with huge snowdrifts all around with the Philly skyline in the background and made a lifetime of memories. Then we drove home, stopped at the LL Bean store and got huge deals on parkas and boots. It was kinda nice just visiting the snow without having to actually deal with it....

I remember that one. Gave me about a foot of snow and slush/sleet at my house. That one nailed DC too I believe and drove their snowpacks to over 3 feet. Outside of the Lake Effect belts or NNE or Boston last winter, you almost never see something like that. 

Yea, we maxed around 35-40" in Philly.  It was crazy.

I remember that one. Gave me about a foot of snow and slush/sleet at my house. That one nailed DC too I believe and drove their snowpacks to over 3 feet. Outside of the Lake Effect belts or NNE or Boston last winter, you almost never see something like that. 

And just to show you what normal people think, today on NPR they were talking to folks in Boston about whether they wanted more snow after going through last winter. NO. Several plow drivers were interviewed and all said it sucked and one said after the second storm he had to go to his friend's place in FL for a few days and all he did was sleep he was so worn out. My wife's company moved to Boston in 2012 and we looked at houses; we decided Boston was kinda narly and I had a pension to protect in NJ so no go. He friends who went there lived through the big 2013 blizzard, 2014, and last year. All of them are looking for jobs elsewhere; lots of new biotech in CA where it doesn't snow. My kids are older now and already at 13 and 18 they have developed a dislike for snow. Mostpeople I know don't believe we will get anything out of this storm but all say they don't want it or even cold weather. Some of us just need to be deprogrammed from weenie land and we will be fine.

And just to show you what normal people think, today on NPR they were talking to folks in Boston about whether they wanted more snow after going through last winter. NO. Several plow drivers were interviewed and all said it sucked and one said after the second storm he had to go to his friend's place in FL for a few days and all he did was sleep he was so worn out. My wife's company moved to Boston in 2012 and we looked at houses; we decided Boston was kinda narly and I had a pension to protect in NJ so no go. He friends who went there lived through the big 2013 blizzard, 2014, and last year. All of them are looking for jobs elsewhere; lots of new biotech in CA where it doesn't snow. My kids are older now and already at 13 and 18 they have developed a dislike for snow. Mostpeople I know don't believe we will get anything out of this storm but all say they don't want it or even cold weather. Some of us just need to be deprogrammed from weenie land and we will be fine.

i gave on snow ages ago. I work outside and also have health issues. The snow is very hard for me mentally and physically. Im not able to move just yet but when i can its going to be to a place with little to now snow and or cold. I think the people that love the snow must make money removing it or dont have to work in it or clean it up.

Last winter (the snowy half from late Jan in NYC anyway) down here in Austin honestly wasn't too bad. I know what to expect here, and most of the time the weather is nice enough to enjoy outside. The worst two types of weather for me are very cold, rainy days, and suppression days where a snowstorm rolls south of me. As a weenie, 2/6/10 was possibly the worst day ever for me. I've never been a fan of cold weather with no snow. If I can't have that, I'd rather be in warm weather. I'd obviously much rather be a part of this snow event, but if I can't, knowing it will be 70 and sunny here on Sunday isn't bad. I can see the pics and follow from here if I have to miss out. 

i gave on snow ages ago. I work outside and also have health issues. The snow is very hard for me mentally and physically. Im not able to move just yet but when i can its going to be to a place with little to now snow and or cold. I think the people that love the snow must make money removing it or dont have to work in it or clean it up.

SNow and cold are very hard on many people. SAD is a real mental health issue and folks with it should probably try to move to a warmer climate. Some can't. Problem is most of those places are too hot, and that is equally rough on people with health issues; most autoimmune conditions are worsened by heat. I am prone to precancerous skin lesions from my fishing years. So I can't go south. But this obsession with snow, it's not always good. I work in schools and luckily I don't have to drive in the stuff, but some people do and it's a pain.

Last winter (the snowy half from late Jan in NYC anyway) down here in Austin honestly wasn't too bad. I know what to expect here, and most of the time the weather is nice enough to enjoy outside. The worst two types of weather for me are very cold, rainy days, and suppression days where a snowstorm rolls south of me. As a weenie, 2/6/10 was possibly the worst day ever for me. I've never been a fan of cold weather with no snow. If I can't have that, I'd rather be in warm weather. I'd obviously much rather be a part of this snow event, but if I can't, knowing it will be 70 and sunny here on Sunday isn't bad. I can see the pics and follow from here if I have to miss out. 

I'm not a fan of the south, though Austin is an island of hip in a sea of some of the worst aspects of America; too many people in jail, too many executions, school systems under constant threat for teaching evolution or that the Civil  War had something to do with slavery. Fine weather is not enough for me. I actually liked Maine best of all the places I've visited, and miss it greatly now that my BILsold his old lake house. But then, I was never there in winter and he is, at 71, tired of the winters and is looking in TN for lakefront.

Archived