12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you'd like to relive the pain of 2/6/10, here's my recap from that event (I send winter weather and tropical system emails to both coworkers and family/friends). If you don't want to wade through it all, the take home was: 0" in CPK to 28" in Philly, 90 miles away.  

Ok, here's the recap.  Well, I obviously spoke too soon yesterday morning (may need to get myself a "Jump To Conclusions" welcome mat - name that movie), as the next 5-7 hours brought the heaviest snow of the storm to many places including finally punching through the dry/cold air in most of Central Jersey, so that I at least got 6" of snow in Metuchen and everywhere south of Central Jersey kept getting hammered, meeting and even exceeding the amazing accumulation forecasts.  The only area that most of the pros "busted" was NE NJ, NYC (except SI) and LI and anywhere north of there.  However, overall, the forecasts were pretty damn good for perhaps the most complex snowstorm to hit this area in a long time.  So below is a recap.

·          NW NJ (Warren/Sussex/Morris), Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Hudson Counties, NYC, LI, CT and everywhere north of there essentially got shut out, except for an inch or two of snow in the southern parts of a few of those counties.  There was nearly mass weenie suicide on the NYC metro thread on Eastern. 

·          Central Jersey from about 78 down to a line from Trenton to Asbury Park generally got 6-12" of snow, except close to NYC, where most of Union County and most of Staten Island got 2-5" of snow; the larger amounts were to the south, of course. 

·          Interestingly, areas in PA that are at the same latitude as most of Central Jersey (i.e., Bucks, Berks and northern Montgomery Counties), got much more snow (12-18"), as they were further away from the "confluence" of incoming dry/cold air that squashed accumulations in NYC. 

·          Between the line from Trenton to Asbury Park and a line from Philly to Toms River, most locations got from 12" to 20" of snow and from Philly to Toms River and points southward, most locations got 20-30", which is an enormous amount of snow

·          The jackpot for snow accumulation was from about Philly (28") and adjacent South Jersey and the SW suburbs of Philly down through most of DE, the DC-Baltimore area, NE MD and northern VA (and even WV) where 24-36" accumulations were observed. 

·          So how's this for a gradient?  Simply moving down I-95, here's the progression of snowfall: 0.0" in Central Park, 1/2" in Newark, 1" in Elizabeth, 4" in Rahway, 6" in Metuchen, 8" in New Brunswick, 13" in Trenton, 19" in Mount Holly, 28" in Philly and 30" in Baltimore.  Unprecedented, especially the 0-28" over the ~90 miles from NYC to Philly. 

So what caused the incredibly steep gradient?  According to what I've read, two things: the polar vortex was sending very cold/dry air in from the high pressure system in eastern Canada, which most impacted the northern fringe of the storm, and there was an incredibly powerful low pressure system south of Greenland (the storm that gave us 1-3" of snow last Wednesday) which essentially "blocked" this low pressure system from riding up the coast and bringing the moisture further north, instead forcing it ENE out to sea, leaving NYC and points to the N/E high and dry.  

It's weird how I'm feeling about this-I'm 50% cracking up, 50% stressed out. Maybe more like 60-40 cracking up. Someone upstairs has to have a sense of humor to set this up for NYC again so soon after last winter's debacle with Juno. 

I'll be pissed if this turns out somehow to be good in NYC and I miss it, but 70 and sunny isn't so bad either. :thumbsup:

LOL Quiters never win and it is far from over the gulf is lit up  dudes like a conveyor belt this system is jacked up ,locked and loaded relax loosen your your ties its the weather .ma nature is pissed off and at the end of the day very humbling some folks will be surprised just be patient.

I mean, what in the HOLY F*CK.

Models ALL agree on a massive storm for literally 3 consecutive days... but then we get toyed with... brutalized... days and sleepless nights of north ticks, south ticks, looks like 96, capture, recapture, escape, Fujiwara, confluence to the north, less confluence to the north, "This run's gonna deliver", flattening ridge... 

Then the NAM and the SREFS come and inject hope into a dying patient and suddenly we're revitalized, energized, ready to sprint out the hospital... but of course we know... deep down, we know... that it's just the steroids talking and this truly is terminal.

The GooFy nurse comes in and delivers the bad news... there's some Canadian attendant nodding in agreement... a certain Dr. No is standing outside the doorway ready to seal our fate.

And how is this thing 36 hours out FFS? I feel like I've been tracking this debacle for a month.

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious.  Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

Models ALL agree on a massive storm for literally 3 consecutive days... but then we get toyed with... brutalized... days and sleepless nights of north ticks, south ticks, looks like 96, capture, recapture, escape, Fujiwara, confluence to the north, less confluence to the north, "This run's gonna deliver", flattening ridge...

Then the NAM and the SREFS come and inject hope into a dying patient and suddenly we're revitalized, energized, ready to sprint out the hospital... but of course we know... deep down, we know... that it's just the steroids talking and this truly is terminal.

The GooFy nurse comes in and delivers the bad news... there's some Canadian attendant nodding in agreement... a certain Dr. No is standing outside the doorway ready to seal our fate.

And how is this thing 36 hours out FFS? I feel like I've been tracking this debacle for a month.

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious. Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

This is just epic

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious. Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

#meltdown

Amen! Ye' hear snow gods!!!!

ALL I wanted to do was buy a sled and take my 2 year old to the park... he now understands snow... this past weekend's dusting had him curious.  Instead, I may strap the lad into the car seat, drive 30 (15?) miles down I-95 to where it past my knee and up to his waist... teach him all about deep snow and real winter and end the day with a good ol' lesson in HEARTBREAK.

This post deserves its own thread.  Just this post by itself.

Archived