Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM can be overdone, but it has it uses and must be considered. If I see tonight's GFS and ECMWF tick north and the NAM stay the same then I would increase amounts. If the other models push the precip further south then I would discount the NAM and decrease amounts. Also, today's GEM pushed the precip. gradient south, not the best model, but still needs some consideration. so it is a hard forecast for our area.

Watch me tonight on a FOX channel 5 10pm news interview.

What's your forecast bud? I'll never hate. Just curious.

Ridiculous with the missed we had, 3 in March 2014, Juno, lets hope this one doesnt

I remember an event that shifted away from us last year. It was in the 48-60 hr range and every model kept shifting north and north, until we ended up with rain, and boston ended up with a long range event, plus 17". So add that to.

NAM can be overdone, but it has it uses and must be considered. If I see tonight's GFS and ECMWF tick north and the NAM stay the same then I would increase amounts. If the other models push the precip further south then I would discount the NAM and decrease amounts. Also, today's GEM pushed the precip. gradient south, not the best model, but still needs some consideration. so it is a hard forecast for our area.

Watch me tonight on a FOX channel 5 10pm news interview.

I wasnt the biggest fan of the 18Z RGEM being so flat because it tends to be the opposite at that range. That said, it's off hour runs are shoddy so I will be more worried if it's still doing that at 00z or tomorrow AM

You say "weenie," which makes me think the term is used pejoratively. Does that mean it's not as sophisticated as the updated NAM, which it seems people believe is the best within 12 hours of a storm but of no use beforehand?

I don't think it's ever useful but if you're going to use it, it should be in the 10-12 hour range.

Fine, YHBK, I'm overplaying my hand because I'm holding a two/seven off suit:)  I don't know any real weather tech jargon so I gotta do my best imitation of a person who belongs in the room.  Anyways, what's the difference between the RAP and the NAM in terms of quality, reliability and technology?  Does it (the rap) serve any purpose outside of 24 hours?  Feel free to respond pejoratively!

Fine, YHBK, I'm overplaying my hand because I'm holding a two/seven off suit:) I don't know any real weather tech jargon so I gotta do my best imitation of a person who belongs in the room. Anyways, what's the difference between the RAP and the NAM in terms of quality, reliability and technology? Does it (the rap) serve any purpose outside of 24 hours? Feel free to respond pejoratively!

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/

http://www.drjack.info/BLIP/INFO/nam_vs_ruc.html

I saw a squirrel humping an acorn. I heard somewhere that counts for something.

LMAOPlease stop you are killing me. My poodle grabbed a squirrel digging for a nut under the snow last march; had blood dripping all down his white fur. that's the thing with poodles, they were bred as hunting dogs and don't know they are supposed to be foo foo lapdogs....but I let mine grow his fur out so that he looks more like a sheepdog....poodles are great companions and they love snow; he likes to jump up into the spray from the snowblower. tries to attack it. Hoping we get to do some of that Saturday.

Thanks, RJay.  I actually followed the links and read up on the two models.  One interesting thing that some of you who do not like this model might not know is that I believe the Rap is currently running on an experimental upgraded system right now.  The reason I believe this is because the RAP is described as only being functional within 12 hours, as opposed to the NAM, which seeks out weather for 84 hours.  And, if you look at the RAP's homepage on the noaa site, you'll see that it says, beginning in January:

• Rapid Refresh (RAPv3, running at ESRL in real-time demo in early 2015) uses the following options. Some key differences from RAPv2 are identified below and in thisgraphic summary, changes shaded red.
  • Model core: WRFv3.6.1+ instead of WRFv3.4.1+ (WRFv3.2.1 used in RAPv1)
  • Model physics: MYNN-Olson boundary-layer scheme, aerosol-aware Thompson cloud microphysics (v3.6) improved v3.6 RUC/Smirnova land-surface model (9-level)
  • Surface fields: MODIS land-surface data including fractional coverage
  • Numerics: 5th-order vertical advection, w-damping upper boundary condition.
  • Data assimilation: Ensemble/hybrid/GSI data assimilation (using GFS assimilation ensemble and GSI) 
  • Observations assimilated: GOES cloud building, lightning (proxy for radar reflectivity), pseudo-PBL temp/moisture obs from 2m temp/dewpoint obs, soil moisture adjustment within data assimilation, improved radar assimilation.
  • The ESRL RAP contributes to initialize the 3km High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR), providing a background for a HRRR-internal 1-h assimilation cycle with 15-min radar and 3-km GSI before the HRRR is initialized.

In the lights of the srefs, is it possible that any of these upgrades, including the integration of GFS data, enabled this model guidance to get there first?

LMAOPlease stop you are killing me. My poodle grabbed a squirrel digging for a nut under the snow last march; had blood dripping all down his white fur. that's the thing with poodles, they were bred as hunting dogs and don't know they are supposed to be foo foo lapdogs....but I let mine grow his fur out so that he looks more like a sheepdog....poodles are great companions and they love snow; he likes to jump up into the spray from the snowblower. tries to attack it. Hoping we get to do some of that Saturday.

My dog hates squirrels and chipmunks. Goes nuts when she sees them. Everything else she couldnt care less about.

Except for the crow she caught. That was kinda insane.

Archived